Digital Service Fellows AmeriCorps Program
Posted by on June 10, 2013
The Digital Service Fellows (DSF) Program recruits recent Philadelphia public high school graduates and gives them the chance to pursue the Information Technology field and to serve the community. The program is a full time, yearlong commitment with numerous benefits including a Segal Education Award and an AmeriCorps living stipend. The DSF Program is a joint initiative between the School District of Philadelphia and Communities in Schools of Philadelphia, Inc. and is now in its 11th year of operation. You will get a chance to become a leader in the technology field through hands-on service in the schools and in the community. Once you complete the program you may consider continuing your I.T. career path and apply to become a Computer Support Specialist.
To be eligible you must:
1. Be between 17 and 24 years of age;
2. Have a high school diploma or GED;
3. Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident; and
4. Submit a completed 2013-2014 application.
During a successful year as a Digital Service fellow, you:
1. Will serve a minimum of 1700 hours (40 hours per week) from august 2013 to August 2014;
2. Could enroll in subsidized classes at institutions of higher education;
3. Could earn industry certifications with subsidized vouchers;
4. Could participate in ongoing service opportunities with the Philadelphia Department of Recreation and the District’s Parent University and
5. Could learn website and mobile app development.
$12,100 living allowance*
monthly SETPA trans pass
Health care benefits
Educational loan forbearance
Subsidized enrollment in higher education classes
Access to tool and equipment (including laptop, Nextel Direct connect, software)
Instruction in and subsidized vouchers for I.T. industry certifications
$5,350 Segal Education Award upon completion of service year*
*these figures are form the 2011-2012 program year,
comparable figures will apply for the 2013-2014 program year.
- Lead Organizer, Philadelphia Student Union – Oct 8
- Postsecondary Education Coordinator, Snider Youth Hockey
- Middle School Success Network Coordinator
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.