Development Manager, Philadelphia Academies
Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is seeking a Development Manager to enact a comprehensive and strategic fund development plan focused on expanding corporate giving and individual donors.We connect students to industry, and industry to schools. Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a non-profit whose mission is to design and implement industry informed, career-connected learning strategies for schools that position young people for success in postsecondary education and the workforce. Founded in 1969, PAI’s initial work was the creation and implementation of Career Academies, a specific model of career-connected learning that has since been put into action in over 8,000 schools nationally. While still supporting the Academy Model, PAI has recently created a more diverse portfolio of career-connected services including Work-Based Learning (WBL), Career Pathways and Pre-Apprenticeship Bridge Programs. By partnering with schools on one hand and Industry and Post-Secondary Institutions on the other, PAI seeks to support students and teachers as we envision a world where all young people have the skills, resources, and networks to reach their full potential.
Position: Development Manager (Full Time)
The Development Manager reports to the Chief of Staff and is responsible for managing PAI’s Fund Development efforts, working with the President/CEO and Chief of Staff to craft and overseeing an aggressive, comprehensive, and strategic fund development plan that is focused on expanding and sustaining foundation and corporate giving, as well as developing a deeper bench of individual donors. The Development Manager is a pivotal role, tasked with cultivating and maintaining relationships with philanthropic foundations, corporate and private sector (individual) donors, as well as PAI’s Board of Directors, while also working closely with other PAI staff to ensure mission alignment in fund development efforts.
The ideal candidate for this position will be proactive, an excellent communicator, enthusiastic, flexible, positive, collaborative, a team player and have proven development experience in the non-profit sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- In partnership with the President/CEO and Chief of Staff, develop and maintain a three-year fund development plan that is updated annually.
- Implement an annual appeal intended to engage and grow individual donors.
- Collaborate with PAI staff to research, conceptualize, define, write, and edit requests for support that align with the organization’s overall needs and mission.
- Manage all EITC related activities, including: annual state renewal paperwork, EITC applications and reporting, and recruiting new EITC partnerships with a particular focus on expanding the amount of EITC contributions received each year from corporate partners.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with supporters (board, individuals, foundations, corporate).
- Create and monitor annual calendar for grant proposals, reports, and other strategic fundraising initiatives.
- Provide fundraising reports to management and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee all donation contribution records; create and mail timely acknowledgement letters (Donor Perfect).
- Research, write, and submit highly competitive grant proposals and reports for corporate and foundation funding opportunities.
- Collaborate with PAI staff to conceptualize, define, write, and edit requests for support that align with the organization’s overall needs and mission.
- Continually explore new funding prospects in corporate, public and foundation spheres, creating briefing sheets as requested.
- Represent Philadelphia Academies, Inc. at local events as relevant to our fund development efforts. • Partner with other staff on PAI’s annual fundraising event, helping as appropriate with corporate sponsorships, auction item solicitation, ticket sales, planning, and other event related activities, as well as working with Board of Director members to cultivate their prospects for sponsorships, ticket sales, and donations.
- Maintain all support materials and electronic files necessary for fundraising.
- Other duties as assigned.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.