Development Manager, KIPP New Jersey
Posted by KIPP New Jersey on November 21, 2016
Reports To: Deputy Director of External Relations
Location: Camden, NJ
Start: January 2017
Here’s what you need to know
KIPP NJ is looking for a great candidate, like you, to join us in preparing Newark and Camden students for success in college and beyond. We are looking for mission-driven individuals who want to prove to the world, as our vision states, that one day, Newark and Camden will truly be cities where every child gets a world class education. For this role, you would be making a particularly crucial contribution to that effort – leading our fundraising for the KIPP schools in Camden – to make our network even better for our students, families and staff.
In this role, the manager will play a critical role in
- Building strong relationships with Camden-based donors (individuals, foundations and corporations)
- Making asks of those donors to support KIPP New Jersey’s growth goals and
- Stewarding and cultivating donor relationships to eventually raise $1,000,000+ of funding annually.
A bit more about you…you have strong relationship building skills and are a communications ace. You understand the value of key supporters and their role in strengthening KIPP New Jersey’s fundraising capabilities and external relations strategies. You are an independent, self-starter and extremely goal-oriented; and can wisely manage your time to exceed your goals.
Here’s what you’ll be doing.
Identify, Cultivate, and Steward donors
- Create a strategic pipeline of Camden-based donors by leveraging existing relationships and researching local Camden philanthropic networks.
- Develop stewardship plans to create a high-quality donor experience. Invest key donors in KIPP New Jersey’s work and growth through regular engagement.
- Support the annual fundraising event to ensure the attendance and contributions of portfolio members and other stakeholders, ensure conversion of event attendees into major donors.
- Work toward securing $1,000,000 in donations from Camden-based corporate, foundation and individual donors toward the organization’s annual fundraising goals.
- Leverage Salesforce database to manage Camden-based giving pipeline, including accurate and timely inputs of donor information and status throughout the year.
Operations and Events
- Schedule tours and visits for potential donors to Camden schools
- Lead in planning and execution of donor cultivation events including dinners with staff, business plan presentations, friend raisers, and fund raisers.
Here’s how you’ll do it:
- Regularly deliver convincing messaging and tailored experiences. Demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with donors, and all external stakeholders. Develop deep relationships with champions and donors that results in increased giving and networking.
- Internally, establish highly collaborative relationships with all team members and Camden staff. Demonstrate a hunger to learn, grow, support, and add great value. Regularly seek to understand the details of our model and strategic growth plan to convey externally.
- Record complete records in Salesforce on donor meetings and interactions to ensure strong tracking of relationships, good team communication, and follow up.
- Demonstrate a growing ability to conduct research, prospect, and to drive ongoing development efforts.
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity that leads to the integration of new ideas and, ultimately, the strengthening of new funding streams for KIPP NJ.
- Demonstrate ability to close the deal and successfully make asks that advance KIPP NJ’s mission.
- Serve as an ambassador of KIPP NJ. Deliver compelling written and oral communications to promote the organization’s mission. Convey complex ideas through brief, simple, yet striking materials.
- Quickly establish credibility when promoting KIPP NJ to external audiences. Demonstrate a high degree of comfort and poise with donors and Board members.
- Demonstrate an ability to devise innovative fundraising plans, create action steps, and mobilize many stakeholders to achieve goals.
- Build sustainable plans to maximize Camden-based giving, meet goals and significantly grow funding.
Must Haves (i.e. what you need to rock this role)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- High motivation as self-starter, but able to work collaboratively
- Keen organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor (Because we take our work seriously, but not ourselves.)
- Strong fundraising background and knowledge of Camden donor-base is a plus
- Experience with SalesForce is a plus
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be required for events
Need more reasons to work here?
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP New Jersey offers a comprehensive benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, generous time off, and a laptop, as well as subsidized travel for teammates commuting from the New York area. And 100% of KIPP New Jersey employees agree we have the best kids in the nation. So there’s that.
- Empowerment Coach, Cathedral Kitchen
- Employment Training Program Coordinator and Case Manager, Cathedral Kitchen
- Remote Community Engagement Positions, CCPH – Jan 29
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.