Development Director, Philadelphia Public School Notebook
Posted by Philadelphia Public School Notebook on September 15, 2014
Job Opportunity: Development Director (position available Oct. 15, 2014)
Founded in 1994, Philadelphia Public School Notebook is an innovative, independent, nonprofit news service that serves as an information source and a voice for parents, students, teachers, and others in the community who are working for quality and equality in Philadelphia public schools.
Lead the Notebook’s work to increase individual and institutional giving through major donor and membership campaigns, fundraising events and grant solicitation. Collaborate with Editor/Publisher and staff revenue team to develop and carry out an overall plan for boosting the Notebook’s revenue from a variety of sources, with a focus on reader support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Grants and Major Gifts
- Work with Editor/Publisher and fundraising committee to identify, cultivate and solicit large gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Coordinate house parties and other major donor cultivation events
- Work with Editor/Publisher to research and draft grant proposals and reports
- Provide reports and maintain contact with donors to properly steward them
- Process and acknowledge all gifts, and report on fundraising revenue
Membership and individual donor work:
- Provide strategic direction for membership program
- Manage appeal and renewal calendar, prepare mailings and emails, oversee member stewardship
- Coordinate Notebook’s annual June Celebration, working with board members and volunteers
- Coordinate Notebook member gatherings and outreach activities to attract members
- Prepare print and online membership promotional materials; develop related editorial content
- Maintain member records and Notebook’s database (CiviCRM) and conduct donor analysis
- Manage cash receipts: Process gifts, acknowledge contributions and fulfill membership benefits
Other management responsibilities
- With Editor/Publisher, staff Notebook board and fundraising committee; attend board meetings
- Organize regular meetings of staff responsible for generating earned and contributed revenue.
- Recruit and supervise interns, volunteers, and part-time administrative support
Proven track record in development and previous experience leading and managing development campaigns; ability to plan and implement a successful, multifaceted fundraising program. Skilled at donor and grants solicitation, stewardship of donor relationships, and record-keeping. Proficiency with database/fundraising software and spreadsheets. Experience with organizing successful fundraising events. Strong written and oral communications skills; superior project management skills and ability to multitask; excellent attention to detail and quality of work; a team player with leadership skills. Interest in urban public education issues, commitment to the Notebook’s mission of educational quality and equity.
Competitive salary, generous paid leave, cafeteria benefits plan.
Email resume and letter of interest, including salary requirements, to email@example.com.
- Director of Learning, Academy of Natural Sciences
- Crew Leader, PowerCorpsPHL
- Director of Development, First Up
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.