Public Citizens for Children and Youth (PCCY)
Development Director, PCCY
Position Summary: PCCY’s Development Director is a leadership position responsible for connecting the philanthropic community to the high impact work of PCCY. We are recruiting a persuasive, clear writer who can engage and inspire foundation staff to invest their resources in PCCY’s myriad of initiatives for children. To do this the Development Director must have a passion for our work that comes through in our letters of intent, proposals and reports to foundations and corporate funders. PCCY’s grants portfolio currently includes more than 40 foundation and corporate funders that collectively account for approximately 60% of revenues. We are always looking to connect new philanthropies to our work and expand the impact and reach of our initiatives. A highly motivated, engaged writer with development experience can make that happen. The Development Director will also engage with the policy leadership on staff to design and improve programs, the communications staff to development new tools to show our impact and tell our story and, most fun of all, be an advocate for kids.
- Prepare high-quality letters of inquiry, grant proposals and reports to foundations and corporate funders.
- Assist in design of programs and initiatives to ensure high level of specificity of work and impact.
- Develop and maintain systems to track all grant activity deadlines and prepare powerful reports and proposals that meet these deadlines.
- Identify new opportunities for seeking new funding from regional, state and national funders.
- Cultivate relationships with current and potential corporate and foundation sponsors and individual donors.
- Work closely with the Major Gifts Director and Events Director to ensure foundation and corporate leaders are engaged in other fundraising activities.
- Manage all foundation relationships for PCCY and respond to all foundation-related development opportunities including grant applications, public engagement opportunities and reporting.
- Work with PCCY’s financial officer on budget planning and cash flow projections.
- Collaborate with PCCY’s program staff on proposals and reports. Build staff capacity on effective proposal development and report writing.
- Strengthen relationships with funders by:
- Ensuring on-time submission of all required information and reports
- Preparing quarterly written updates on program developments and PCCY accomplishments
- Identifying opportunities for funders to get involved in PCCY’s work (in person)
- Identifying special opportunities for funders to attend high profile events
- Participate in ongoing program planning to stay current on PCCY’s actions on the implications for fundraising as well as offer feedback and suggestions
Other duties as assigned:
- Attend and present information at the PCCY Board meetings and subcommittee meetings as requested
- Stay abreast of the work of local and state partners/allies and national organizations involved in policy and advocacy in your area of work
- Support PCCY events and fundraisers, including recruiting attendees and securing auction items
- Assist when asked in PCCY outreach and advocacy events which may be during evening or weekend hours
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and staff committees
- Edit reports and communications prepared by others
- Conduct spot research including under tight deadline
- Prepare occasional policy communications
- Serve as a sounding board for staff to discuss new program ideas and strategies
- Recruit and supervise interns
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Works well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple deadlines
- Detail oriented
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to travel to communities across the region
Reports To: Executive Director
Apply: Resumes must include a cover letter and a sample proposal. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.