Development Director (Part Time), Spark the Wave
Posted by on September 22, 2008
Spark The Wave
Development Director (Part Time) Job Description
Spark the Wave (STW), a youth service and leadership organization with programming based primarily in Philadelphia, PA is looking to significantly expand and professionalize its Development program and long range funding potential by instituting a new part time Development Director position. Now in its 4th year of operation, STW has a current budget of approximately $250,000 enhanced by significant volunteer services and in-kind donations. The new Development Director will work with the CEO and Board of Directors to steward existing relationships, cultivate new philanthropic prospects and broaden the base of volunteer and charitable support.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the part-time Development Director will work closely with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors to identify prospects and initiate strategies to diversify and broaden the organization’s revenue portfolio. The Development Director will manage all immediate aspects of growing the organization’s development program and will work in tandem with the Board and a fundraising consulting team to develop a comprehensive long- term development strategy.
This career opportunity presents significant potential for growth and diversification of skill sets and is an ideal path for an outcome-focused mid-level fund raising professional that is looking to manage all aspects of a growing development operation. As a part-time position (20 of hours/week), this position is tailor-made for an individual in pursuit of flexibility, at the same time it has the potential to grow into full-time capacity status as the development program grows. The position is based in the Philadelphia area.
Short Term Responsibilities:
• Conduct analysis of STW’s 3-5 year funding data, profile to benchmark and set achievable, aggressive resource development goals for CY09
• Research, evaluate and develop short-term strategies to pursue foundation, corporate, individual and government funding sources
• Review and modify on-line solicitation strategy to incorporate best practice approaches to how STW uses the web to generate resources and cultivate and retain donors
• Improve upon existing boilerplates and write new case statements, solicitation packages, appeal letters, etc.
• Develop program budgets, work plans, submission schedules and other tools to manage fundraising process
• Manage the execution of fundraising strategies, including organizing volunteers, adapting and submitting proposals, organizing mailings and donor cultivation events
• Supervise stewardship activities, like acknowledging gifts, preparing and submitting reports to funders, and supporting volunteer groups
• Plan and implement special events that target niche audiences which align with STW donor profile
• Work with the program staff to increase in-kind donations of goods and services
• Work with CEO, and members of the board to build infrastructure and competency for fundraising to include training of board members and volunteers in major donor solicitation strategies
• Represent STW through written and verbal communication
• Manage tracking structures to ensure the timely and effective execution of fundraising strategies.
• Manage departmental budget
• Participate in all aspects of feasibility work and preparation of a STW Development Strategy 2010-15 to support the long-term programmatic growth of the organization through expanded revenue growth and the launch of distinct fundraising campaigns as determined by planning team.
• Execute all aspects of completed strategy
• 3-5 years direct experience in development-related writing, research, design and strategy
• Proven record of increasing revenue portfolio(s) of small to mid-size nonprofit(s) through fundraising
• Ability to write and work independently as well as collaboratively
• Ability to translate abstract concepts into cogent written products
• Strong research, analytical, organizational and time management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for supporting the mission of STW and youth service-leadership development
• Database and reporting experience
• Direct mail and familiarity with the graphic design process
Candidates will be asked to produce portfolio of formal written fundraising materials (grant proposals, appeal letters, other written and electronic documents), professional references and salary requirements.
The mission of Spark the Wave is to empower youth through educational programs to be great volunteers and community leaders.
Please send letter of inquiry and resume to:
Bill Gallagher, CEO
Spark the Wave
P.O. Box 41807
Philadelphia, PA 19101
- Senior Program Officer – Child Health and Early Childhood, Center for Health Care Strategies
- Director of Ending Hunger For Good, Philabundance
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.