School District of Philadelphia
Deputy Chief (Specialized Services), School District of Philadelphia
Develops, supports and monitors the delivery of Special Education services from the age of birth to 21 for the School District of Philadelphia. Provides visionary leadership and guidance in the ongoing development and administration of strategic planning activities which facilitates the overall educational goals of the District.
- Plans, coordinates, directs, and evaluates the overall operation of Special Education services.
- Maintains compliance of state and federal performance indicators.
- Oversees and manages divisional fiscal resources.
- Defines, delegates, and evaluates the services of all special education staff.
- Prepares and administers the annual department budget and exercises proper financial controls.
- Establishes and maintains a system for monitoring the effectiveness of program implementation.
- Directs the development and revision of programs, policies and procedures to comply with federal, state, and logical legislation and District policy.
- Responsible for the maintenance and security of department records and reports.
- Advises the School Reform Commission, Superintendent of Schools, and Chief Academic Support Officer on matters related to specialized services.
- Prepares reports for federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
- Develops proposals to resolve key operational challenges.
- Ensures that all programs are in compliance with governing federal, state and local regulations.
- Assists in recruitment, selection, placements and evaluation of staff.
- Provides professional development for staff based on established program goals and objectives.
- Works with the Talent Office to establish personnel needs as they relate to program development, specific building needs, and provision of equal opportunity across the District.
- Ensures a smooth transition for students with special needs between elementary, middle and high school.
- Coordinates extended year services (ESY).
- Manages/appropriates the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) grant in alignment with District goals.
- Oversees a team of Special Education Directors.
- Manages out-of-District placement.
- Responds appropriately to the Pennsylvania Department of Education communication/regulations.
- Responds effectively to matters related to Special Education litigation.
- Serves as the special education representative to the School Reform Commission, Office of the Superintendent, and Chief Academic Support Officer.
- Communicates and works with principals and directors to establish consistency in program goals.
- Performs duties as assigned by the Chief Academic Support Officer.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.