Data Manager, Mayors Office of Education
Posted by City of Philadelphia on September 10, 2019
The Mayor’s Office of Education (MOE) provides leadership to improve education in the City of Philadelphia. To achieve this mission, MOE creates policies and programs to expand access to quality pre-K for Philadelphia families; support students and residents through Community Schools; facilitate collaboration and partnerships to strengthen the local educational landscape; and advance key educational policy.
The Data Manager leads the design, management and implementation of data management, data analysis, evaluation and tool development efforts for MOE. This position leads the research, evaluation and data integration vision and strategies for the office. The Manager will supervise a Data Coordinator and work with internal and external stakeholders to advance data collection, analysis utilization and reporting to ensure quality and accurate data to inform the programmatic foci of MOE. Work for this role is conducted under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Education Officer.
- Establish a collaborative environment where knowledge is shared across disciplines on a regular basis to advance initiatives and projects.
- Develop, clarify, assign, and oversee the design of project scopes, definition of deliverables, and the achievement of targeted outcomes and timelines.
- Ensure data project requirements are achieved in a timely fashion and within budget guidelines.
- Develop, refine, and manage tools to track data and research assignments, ensure transparency of assignments and knowledge sharing, and track the timely progress and completion of data and research projects.
- Work closely with the MOE team to ensure the alignment of data projects to programmatic needs.
- Convene and chair data and research project meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare reports, status summaries, and presentations for a variety of audiences including leadership as well schools and providers.
- Communicate (verbally and in writing) effectively with stakeholders and senior leadership about projects.
- Plan, organize and direct the work activities of MOE staff, contracted staff, consultants, and other data, technology, and research personnel assigned to the team.
- Establish and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with supervisees, peers, supervisor, and departmental leaders.
- Lead additional data and research projects and tasks as assigned.
Qualifications (Education And Experience)
- Masters degree in Economics, Statistics, Data Science or similar fields, required.
- Minimum of 3 5 years of data and research project supervision experience, required.
- Proficiency in SQL, GIS or other mapping tools, required.
- Ability to produce high-quality written, graphic and digital communications that translate technical and financial content into readable publications, with an emphasis on mapping and data visualization.
- 5+ years experience using GIS tools
- 5+ years experience in business analysis, process mapping, and project management
- Extensive experience in software tools such as MS Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Experience with short and long-term research design and analysis and the delivery of research products for lay/practitioner audiences.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Demonstrate effective supervision and management skills, such as establishing collaborative team structure and mechanisms, conflict/issue resolution, the ability to direct a project, and the ability to ensure a successful project lifecycle.
- Communicate (verbally and in writing) effectively with stakeholders participating in this project.
- Demonstrate analytical and presentation skills, strategic thinking, and high professional ethics.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, leadership, associates, outside consultants and vendors.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with mixed methods research design and data analyses.
- Demonstrate experience with leading multiple, simultaneous data projects and with delivering such projects by the agreed deadline.
- Knows personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and limits.
- Reflective and seeks feedback.
- Exceptional cultural competency and proficiency.
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.