Coordinator: School Health Services, School District of Philadelphia
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on October 20, 2020
Develops and monitors implementation of effective practices in the delivery of student health support services to optimize student achievement. Serves as a resource and provides technical guidance in their assigned areas to school-based staff, and provides professional development activities in the specialty area. Establishes and maintains partnerships and linkages with external public and private organizations, and governmental agencies and serves as the liaison to both internal and external parties on issues related to the area of specialization.
- Oversees, coordinates, and monitors the school health services activities and programs; monitors the implementation of new and existing programs and initiatives designed to address the health services needs of students and in schools.
- Provides clinical educational leadership and teaching to nursing staff, using evidenced-based teaching methods in school nursing; collaborates with Nursing Director and School Health
- Coordinator colleagues to ensure implementation of student health clinical policies and protocols.
- Develops and implements an orientation to school nursing for new employees.
- Develops health education curriculum materials for use by the school nurse for student and staff education.
- Coordinates professional development activities for all school nursing staff.
- Ensures adherence to any state, federal and local mandated guidelines governing activities of school-based health services.
- Acts in a consultative role for school and central office based staff; provides consultative services in the planning, development, and implementation of school-based health care services.
- Identifies effective practices for delivery of health-care services across the district and within non-public schools.
- Ensures the implementation of programs and practices that support the goals and objectives of the school district.
- Implements and evaluates professional development and training activities for school nurses; provides training directly to staff members or through staff trainers.
- Stays abreast of current developments and trends regarding pediatric health care, asthma, diabetes, autism, medically fragile, chronic illnesses, mental illness, and other diagnosed diseases.
- Serves as liaison to various public and private organizations, and governmental child-serving agencies; interacts and works collaboratively with other offices within the District as well as across the city to collaboratively address the health care needs of students.
- Participates in the development of grant proposals.
- Works collaboratively with other staff in the office.
- Recruits and supports school nurses to promote public health outreach of students and families and ensure school readiness.
- Assures clinically competent, high quality delivery of school health services consistent with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Board of Nursing and Professional Nursing Standards of care and federal and local regulations.
- Participates in targeted school community health promotion/health education initiatives.
- Provides oversight of schools and school nurses in the delivery of mandated services, including Commonwealth of Pennsylvania screenings and examinations and Philadelphia Department of Health immunization compliance regulations.
- Evaluates and monitors school health services programs through proficient use of the Student Information System (SIS) and other data sources.
- Provides technical assistance as needed to ensure the proficient use of the SIS for required documentation.
- Coordinates targeted and centrally driven professional development through monthly regional nurse meetings and special programs.
- Maintains and references the School Nurse Procedures Manual as a basis for technical support and assistance to schools and school nurses.
- Communicates with all school nurses and is identified as a point person for assistance and consultation.
- Coordinates, monitors and provides technical assistance for the District’s Homebound Program, PT/OT Program, Chapter 15 requirements, and medical transportation and other accommodation for students with special health needs.
- Collaborates on design and development of grant activities related to emergent health issues such as obesity, diabetes, asthma and heart disease.
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
- City Homeless Office Offers Youth Internship
- Learning Pod and Resource Center: Educators Needed
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.