Coordinator, Neighborhood Funding Stream
Posted by on September 8, 2008
Coordinator, Neighborhood Funding Stream – September 2008
This position will assist in the development, coordination, implementation and maintenance of key program goals and objectives related to the Neighborhood Funding Stream. The Neighborhood Funding Stream is an endowment seeded with former Empowerment Zone funds that supports a small community-based grant program dedicated to addressing priority needs of the American Street, North Central and West Philadelphia Empowerment Zone communities. The Neighborhood Funding Stream supports economic, human, and social development in the community by funding community-based activities, solidifying community networks, and encouraging collaboration. The Neighborhood Funding Stream is a collaborative partnership between community-based advisory boards, the City of Philadelphia, United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and NeighborhoodsNow.
Job Responsibilities/Specific Duties, include, but are not limited to:
• Assist in the management of a place-based, community guided grants-making project.
• Conduct research concerning community conditions and available resources to inform strategic grant making and setting of funding priorities.
• Assist in the development of various materials including research, publicity materials, guidelines etc. related to the grant program.
• Research and develop appropriate marketing materials for announcements, reports and events. Assist in developing NFS-specific material.
• Develop and support targeted community outreach activities to inform current and perspective grant applicants as well as community advisory groups.
• Develop and maintain information data bases to inform outreach and other aspects of the grant program to perspective applicants and the community at large.
• Act as an advocate for the program by developing and maintaining a working relationship with community organizations, local government institutions and advisory groups.
• Assist in development of periodic reporting to funder, including reports for city funds and advisory boards.
• Support NFS Director in maintaining and monitoring program budget information and other appropriate financial records to manage program activities, including preparing invoices and check requests.
• Assist NFS Director in assuring appropriate tracking, monitoring and evaluating of grant-related activities.
• Assist NFS Director in grant funding analysis and recommendations
• Routine preparation of agendas, meeting notes, reports.
• Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned
May provide some direction to interns and/or consultants.
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Type and Level of Education:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work, community development or related field preferred.
2. Technical or other skills:
• A commitment to the value of strengthening a neighborhood’s assets as a community development approach.
• A commitment to the value of partnership and collaboration.
• Youth, workforce, economic, or community development background and experience. Experience in community planning and neighborhood assessment a plus.
• Familiarity with the North Philadelphia and West Philadelphia communities especially concerning the work of the Philadelphia Empowerment Zones helpful.
• Familiarity with local philanthropic and non-profit community helpful.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and database management.
• Time management and organizational skills required.
• Ability and willingness for local travel.
• Willingness to attend regularly scheduled evening meetings.
• At least 3-4 years in community development. Work experience in North and/or West Philadelphia, especially within the Philadelphia Empowerment Zones, is beneficial.
• Ability to work with and engage others from diverse cultures and diverse sectors of community required.
• Demonstrated ability to relate well with both internal and external customers.
4. Specific Skills
• Highly organized; ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to sustain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to work as a member of a team.
• Ability to work with and engage others from diverse cultures and diverse sectors of community.
Interested candidates should e-mail a resume and a cover letter (please, no phone calls) to:
Please type “Coordinator, NFS Position” in the subject line.
Deadline: September 19, 2008.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.