Congreso de Latinos Unidos
Construction Math Instructor (pt-time), Congreso de Latinos Unidos
Congreso’s Adult Education department provides various programs and services to adults of all ages who are preparing for high school equivalency credentials, as well as college and career readiness. This part-time Construction Math Instructor position will focus on supporting trainees at ECA’s (Energy Coordinating Agency) Knight Green Jobs Training Center with academic and job readiness skills needed to complete the training programs and go on to careers in the building and energy efficiency trades. While the position is a part of Congreso’s Adult Education team and supervised by the Congreso’s Education Services Manager, the main work occurs on site at the ECA training center in North Philadelphia. The Construction Math Instructor will provide contextualized numeracy (up to basic algebra and geometry), literacy and job readiness instruction. In addition, this position includes employment-focused case management services which include goal-planning, screening and referrals for barriers to success such as mental health, finances, or housing. The Construction Math Instructor may help clients navigate challenges to their attendance and progress by connecting trainees to support services and Congreso programs.
- Prepare and deliver contextualized construction math (up to basic algebra and geometry), literacy and job readiness instruction one or two days a week.
- Utilize technology including Microsoft Office software, email, and web-based applications to deliver curriculum.
- Assist students in gaining critical thinking skills, problem solving techniques, and proficiency in numeracy and literacy.
- Facilitate personal and professional goal planning with clients.
- Screen client for any barriers that may impact their ability to complete the training and be successful in employment, including mental and physical health, financial, housing, and educational barriers.
- Refer client to any of Congreso’s onsite multi-service options, as necessary.
- Refer client to any external entities for services, as necessary.
- Provide coaching to client around navigating any barriers or challenges to program focus, attendance, and progress.
- Coach client around navigation of social service benefits during each phase of the 10-week training.
- Provide fundamental job readiness and career coaching support and guidance.
- Work with team members to evaluate student academic progress, identify solutions to students’ academic and social barriers, and assess project performance.
- Work diligently to achieve program outcomes as related to staff performance evaluation.
- Attend regular staff, team, divisional, and individual supervisory meetings, as scheduled.
- Participate in agency activities, quarterly meetings, and committees in order to share information that will promote the purpose and mission of Congreso.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Career Pathway: Education)
All Staff Competencies
- Basic understanding of Congreso’s mission, vision, values, services, and business plan.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Kensington and North Philadelphia community needs and demographics.
- Experience in construction or building trades and ability to teach academic skills within that context.
- Understanding of legal criteria for issues such as confidentiality, domestic abuse, child abuse, and mandated reporter requirements.
- Ability to provide nonviolent intervention with a high level of ethical standards of conduct, cultural sensitivity and within appropriate boundaries and limits.
- Ability to effectively use standard office equipment.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
- Ability to operate a computer and use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, UNIDAD, and customized databases.
- Adheres to all Congreso and departmental policies and procedures and attends all Congreso in-services as required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
Educational Staff Competencies
- Ability to plan and deliver contextualized numeracy, literacy and job readiness instruction to adult learners in accordance with Congreso’s PCM standards for group facilitation.
- Ability to manage busy classroom environments with students of varying backgrounds and educational abilities.
- Ability to uphold and enforce programmatic attendance and disciplinary policies.
- Possess a relentless stance to move clients towards targeted outcomes.
- Ability to work in concert with case management personnel to deliver holistic services to all clients.
- Ability to conduct and analyze research in order to drive curriculum and policy development.
- Ability to maintain responsibility for students’ achievement of coursework and academic progress through one-on-one tutoring, directed self-learning, and implementation of youth and adult learning principles.
- Ability to work in a team structure – demonstrating ability to collaborate and contribute
to the team’s work, displaying highly effective written and verbal communication with teammates, support staff, and supervisor.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.