Community Preparedness Program Manager, City of Philadelphia
Posted by City of Philadelphia on September 8, 2020
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) works to mitigate, plan, and prepare for emergencies; educate the public about preparedness; coordinate emergency response and recovery efforts; and develop tools and identify resources to support the overall preparedness of the City of Philadelphia
Candidates for this position should possess a strong desire to work in a team-oriented, fast-paced, professional public safety environment, and a willingness to serve the public in the fifth largest city in the nation. The successful candidate for this position will assist with the development, strategic planning, implementation, and evaluation of an integrated preparedness program to support the preparedness for and response to emergency incidents in Philadelphia.
The Community Preparedness Program Manager participates in the overall strategic development and rebranding for the Ready, or Not? campaign and related programs. The Community Preparedness Program Manager may serve as a media spokesperson.
Work includes, but is not limited to, drafting emergency preparedness messages; developing Ready, or Not? curriculum, drafting content for collateral materials such as brochures, fact sheets, press releases and media advisories, public service announcements, social media, emergency text alerts, video scripts, and PowerPoint presentations.
The Community Preparedness Program Manager coordinates a variety of special events and exhibits; develops and maintains working relationships with the media, corporate sponsors, the public, and other key stakeholders. The Program Manager represents the Office of Emergency Management at conferences, community meetings, civic associations, other public meetings, and professional associations and is also responsible for video recording and photo documentation of media briefings, emergency management exercises, and Ready, or Not? special events.
The Community Preparedness Program Manager also serves in the City’s Emergency Operations Center or a Joint Information Center, when activated during large-scale emergencies and special events, to provide accurate, timely information and guidance to the public.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director for Planning, the Community Preparedness Program Manager is responsible for a range of preparedness education, and promotional activities. Typical examples of work may include:
- Conduct Ready, or Not? program evaluations and continually develop targeted outreach strategies to increase community participation and engagement with identified measurable outcomes.
- Plan and coordinate community outreach events. Work with advisory committees, civic associations, community, faith-based groups, special needs groups, and governmental officials to increase Ready, or Not? familiarity across the City.
- Appear before special interest groups and community organizations; attends relevant meetings as requested to present programs or materials dealing with emergency preparedness activities.
- Manage the Ready Program Speakers Bureau; develop PowerPoint presentations and training curriculum for various audiences.
- Assist the Public Information Program Manager with the development of public information; research and gather information. Draft, edit, proofread and arrange for the publication for a variety of materials, such as fact sheets, pamphlets, brochures, press releases, ads, newspaper articles reports, websites, public service announcements and video products.
- Work with public relations consultants, graphic designers, photographers, and printers to obtain material in accordance with specifications.
- Use social media on a regular basis to promote the Ready, or Not? program.
- Serve as secondary Public Information Officer/Joint Information Center Manager in the event of an emergency to coordinate and release information.
- Serve as a backup media spokesperson.
- Maintain community preparedness and outreach strategies subject matter expertise via ongoing trainings and research.
- Perform other emergency management duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.