Make the Road New Jersey
Community Organizer, Make the Road New Jersey
Job Announcement: Make the Road New Jersey
Community Organizer – Full Time
About the Organization: Make the Road New Jersey builds the power of immigrant and working class communities to achieve dignity and respect through community organizing, policy innovation, legal services and transformative education. We are a membership-based organization and are guided by and accountable to our members – the working class, Latinos and immigrants. Formed in late 2014, we have had a substantial impact after only a short time, playing key roles in campaigns to build sanctuary cities, expand workers’ rights, create municipal ID cards, and other pro-worker and pro-immigrant policies. In the aftermath of the Trump administration’s executive orders on immigration, MRNJ has led several mass resistance actions and rapid response campaigns in the airport, at the Elizabeth Detention Center and in Union County.
Position Overview: Make the Road New Jersey seeks an energetic community organizer to join our team. The Community Organizer will work closely with the Director and MRNJ’s leaders to grow our membership base, develop new leadership and execute our campaigns. The organizer will work through our committee model. The committee is the engine that drives our work, and the space where campaign and action planning, political education, and orientation to our organization all take place. Committee meetings are facilitated by members in coordination with staff. Specifically, the Organizer will be responsible for:
– Conduct regular recruitment to build MRNJ’s base of membership.
– Maintain constant communication with MRNJ’s leaders to support outreach, education and other work that they are doing.
– Facilitate committee meetings and work with members to facilitate meetings.
– Develop political education materials in conjunction with our campaigns and facilitate regular political education workshops as part of committee meetings.
– Develop testimonies with members for press, and work with directly impacted people to give testimonies that advance our campaigns.
– Work with MRNJ’s Comites de Defensa del Barrio (neighborhood defense committees) to educate residents about their rights and prepare in case of an immigration raid or other incident.
Desired Characteristics: To be successful, the Community Organizer must have a demonstrated commitment to social justice, community organizing, leadership development and the elevation of directly impacted and marginalized people to create change. Two year of experience working in community, labor, or faith-based organizing is preferred, as is familiarity with NJ. Speaking and writing in Spanish is required. A driver’s license is strongly preferred. The person must be able to manage simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment at a small but growing organization.
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience. MRNJ has a comprehensive benefit package including parental leave, health insurance, and 401k.
To apply: Send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com, and put “Organizer” in the subject heading. MRNJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ people, women and people with disabilities strongly encouraged to apply. No phone calls will be accepted as part of the application.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.