Community Gardens Project, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
Posted by on December 30, 2005
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture. Philadelphia Green, PHS?s urban greening division, works in partnership with neighborhood residents, community organizations and city agencies to empower people to make the city a more attractive and livable place. The Community Garden Project provides education, technical assistance and resources for neighborhood groups to maintain and develop their community gardens. This position will work directly with urban community gardeners and assist the Philadelphia Prison System to develop scheduled crop production to increase the volume of fresh produce to local food cupboards.
Assist community gardeners in all aspects of crop production: scheduling, harvesting, distribution for donation.
Coordinate, with project partner (SHARE) and gardeners, the collection and distribution of produce for donation.
Support Corrections Officer (CO) at prison greenhouse: organize seedling production and distribution; provide workshops and technical assistance.
Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
– Experience with intensive, organic vegetable production, including crop production from seed to harvest
– Experience in greenhouse seedling production
– Presentation and training skills
– Experience with community gardening in an urban environment
– Ability to work collaboratively
– Computer skills ? Word and Excel experience
– Higher Education in related field or equivalent experience
– Valid Driver?s License required
– Criminal record check and finger printing required for work with Philadelphia Prison System
Competitive salary and benefits package
To apply, mail or fax cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
The Pennyslvania Horticultural Society
c/o/ Human Resources
100 N. 20th Street
Philadelphia Pa. 19103
FAX: 215 988 8810
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.