Broad Street Ministry
Director of Community Engagement
Job Description: A core component of the mission of Broad Street Ministry (BSM) is to engage and educate the community about the issues facing vulnerable populations and the dire need for system reform. Given its unique location and role in the service delivery system in Philadelphia, BSM is able each year to attract thousands of volunteers and hundreds of local corporations, church groups, and student organizations to serve our guests on site, join our Hospitality & Corporate Council (HCC), or attend public workshops, lectures, symposia, and other events that educate the general public about these issues and teach about meaningful action steps that can support our guests. BSM’s Community Engagement function is a comprehensive effort to educate and involve each of these audiences in the social justice issues facing Philadelphia and is a natural extension of our overall mission to create a more radically hospitable city.
The Community Engagement Director’s primary function is to oversee and spearhead the ongoing development and sustainability of the full range of BSM’s Community Engagement (CE) offerings, including our Volunteer Program; service learning opportunities; corporate education and relations efforts; and events which promote our overall community engagement mission.
Job duties generally include, but are not limited to:
Management and Administration
– Accomplish annual Community Engagement goals for educational programs and events;
– Lead and manage BSM’s Volunteer Program to ensure that the HC is adequately staffed and volunteers are educated about the realities facing vulnerable populations;
– In close collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, meet associated fundraising and revenue generating goals;
– Provide management and guidance to CE team to meet program goals and support professional growth; supervise the Manager of Volunteer Programming, Coordinator of Volunteer Programming, Community Engagement Coordinator, and any temporary staff hired to support CE intensive programming;
– Create and oversee the CE budget with guidance; work with the Chief Development Officer to steward such funds efficiently and effectively;
– Write and submit program reports for record keeping, output and outcomes tracking, as well as for senior management, BSM Board of Directors, and external stakeholders.
– Lead program and curriculum design for all justice education programs; oversee execution and facilitation of public justice education programs;
– Lead and manage BSM’s service learning programs and quantitatively and qualitatively evaluate their opportunity for future growth;
– Envision and strategically plan for new and/or expanded Community Engagement and justice education programs; grow opportunities for adult, corporate, faith-based, and secular offerings for paid programming as appropriate;
– Act as point person for CE events which are geared toward social justice education.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
– Be a collaborative member of the BSM team to ensure space sharing and a coordinated
– Adhere to organizational policies and procedures;
– Participate in professional development and in-service training, as appropriate;
– Perform other duties as assigned related to the essential functions of the position.
Qualifications: Detail-oriented, punctual, reliable, proficient in MS Office Suite, Excel, able to maintain calm in high-stress situations, able to communicate clearly and effectively, and able to work respectfully with populations experiencing deep poverty, homelessness, and trauma. Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, strategic thinker, collaborative team member, excellent communicator; and one who possesses entrepreneurial and relational skills; Must be able to meet a variety of target audiences where they are; Demonstrated experience in designing, facilitating, and evaluating faith-based and secular justice programming; Management, supervisory, and program leadership experience, esp. management of successful volunteer programs; Ability to plan and execute consistent, high-quality year-round programming, smoothly navigating programs that may occur concurrently; Graduate degree preferred, or commensurate experience.
Hours: Non-exempt, Full-Time
With the subject line: Community Engagement Director, please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.