Community & Education Partnerships Manager, North10 Philadelphia
About the Organization:
North10, Philadelphia (“North10”) is a newly created, innovative community development and neighborhood revitalization organization in the Hunting Park and East Tioga neighborhoods of North Philadelphia. Growing out of a decade’s work and commitment of The Lenfest Center, North10 aims to deepen impact as a place-based community agent, focused on affordable housing, cradle to career education and comprehensive community wellness programming.
In partnership with civic leaders and community stakeholders, North10 will improve life outcomes for community members and provide greater supports to these vibrant neighborhoods where current and future generations can live happy, healthy, and civically engaged lives.
Our vision is that by 2027, Hunting Park and East Tioga will be home to:
- Safe, clean streets; well-maintained green spaces; accessible public transportation; and commercial options that reflect the needs and desires of the community;
- Stable, high-quality housing; readily available resources for homeowners and homebuyers; and both rental and ownership opportunities at a range of prices;
- A high-quality cradle-to-career educational pipeline that provides every neighborhood child access to educational opportunities that help them reach their full potential
- Accessible, affordable, and healthy food options; safe, diverse, and well-structured recreation spaces; physical, mental, and behavioral health services for adults and children; and continuing education and vocation opportunities for adults.
About The Position:
A newly designed position, the Community & Education Partnerships Manager will support the execution of our strategic plan and manage all of our community, neighborhood schools and education partnerships. This role is part liaison, part relationship manager with a strong emphasis on engagement and project management.
Working closely with and reporting to the Director of Community Partnerships & Strategy, the Community & Education Manager will coordinate and lead the collaborative effort to transform Bethune Elementary School, acting as project manager, researcher, and North10 representative to the school’s Transformation Committee. The Manager will work closely with The Lenfest Center leadership as project manager, supporting the transformation and growth of The Lenfest Center. The Manager will also provide support to North10 leadership on special projects, coordinating community outreach efforts and communication of educational programming and development to North10 partners and their constituents.
More Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Coordinate and convene the Bethune Elementary School’s Transformation committee’s monthly meetings, while serving as representative of North10.
- Consult with Lenfest Center leadership regarding program development, with the goal being to increase use of available neighborhood resources by Lenfest Center families and increase community and stakeholder access to Lenfest Center programming.
- Collect, capture, and present qualitative and quantitative data on the Bethune Elementary and Lenfest Center catchment area.
- Visit representatives at local school to cultivate relationships, discuss improvement of programming, and build information gathering and data sharing systems in support of North10 mission
- Support research efforts to facilitate access to high quality early childhood providers and adult learning opportunities.
- Coordinate outreach efforts that will engage residents in making choices that have positive impact on their community
- Systematize avenues of communication between North10 stakeholders and partners
- Support North10 leadership in the development and initial implementation of a three-year strategy for North10, Philadelphia
- Support logistics and preparation for North10 meetings with partners and stakeholders (i.e. leaders of local community based organizations, faith leaders, community activists, and law enforcement) to discuss improvement strategies for prominent commercial corridors, development plans for newly acquired properties, and securing access to affordable housing
- Occasionally represent North10 at conferences and meetings when Director or CEO are unavailable and/or when the events are relevant to the direct work of The Manager
Sample Day Might Look Like:
- Meet with Bethune Transformation Committee on site at the school
- Create data charts based on surveys recently collected from community parents
- Meet with Lenfest program team members to discuss strategies for overhauling Center’s after-school registration process
- Meet with a representative from an area school to discuss opportunities at The Lenfest Center
- Set up meeting with Director with three community partners to discuss a recently proposed affordable housing project proposal
- Research information to support the grant proposal writing for a North10 partner in need of assistance
- Help Director and CEO prepare for upcoming task force meeting
- Deeply believe in the mission and vision of North10, Philadelphia, demonstrated by prior experience working in neighborhoods with high poverty and other systemic barriers to success
- Have at least three years experience working in schools, after school or other educational centers
- Bring passion and excitement about working on the ground and in partnership with the local community to revitalize the Hunting Park and East Tioga, ideally through a meaningful connection to or experience with North Philadelphia
- Thrive in and are able to execute in a “startup”, entrepreneurial-like environment characterized by ambiguity and not having a road map
- Demonstrate strength in community engagement, relationship building or managing community partnerships; ideally in communities like ours
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education, Urban Studies, Social Work, Community Organizing or related areas
- Demonstrate the ability to network and authentically engage a wide variety of stakeholders, from parents to school administrators to community leaders
- Demonstrate outstanding organization and project management skills
- Demonstrate outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer technology, including MS Office, web design via WordPress
- Are self-starters and work well autonomously with direction and guidance from leadership in line with North10 mission and goals
- Are flexible with work schedule, understanding that some weekend and evening hours are required
- Are ideally fluent Spanish-speakers
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.