Girl Scouts of Central and Southern New Jersey
Community Development Manager, Girl Scouts of Central & Southern NJ
POSITION TITLE: Community Development Manager
LOCATION: GSCSNJ Service Center/Remote
Accepts and implements the Girl Scout Mission to build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. Agrees to pledge and uphold the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
CUSTOMER IMPACT STATEMENT: The Community Development Manager is responsible for providing leadership and supervision to the Community Development Specialists as they bring a fun Girl Scout Leadership experience to girls with limited resources, focusing specifically on distressed, low-income, inner-city communities. She/he develops effective recruitment and retention strategies that build and sustain crucial community collaborations in targeted outreach areas, resulting in an increase in the number of girls who benefit from being a Girl Scout. The Manager oversees the implementation of programs that provide desired Girl Scout leadership outcomes for girl participants and build a new volunteer corps that can sustain the Girl Scout Leadership Program in the desired community. The Community Development Manager ensures our membership is enriched with diversity. This position reports directly to the VP, Membership Services on the Mission and Operations Strategy Team (MOST).
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
1. Strong leadership of a diverse team
2. Ability to build and sustain viable community partnerships
3. Ability to research, analyze and interpret data from multiple sources to develop a plan for the team to promote and deliver high quality Girl Scout experiences relevant to the audience served.
4. Grant Management and Oversight experience
5. Strong time and project management skills
PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES (may include, but not limited to):
Supervise Community Development Team
- Ensure collaboration, communication, and teamwork within the team.
- Provide appropriate opportunities for staff to develop skills and/or increase level of ability to enhance job performance.
- Coach teams and provide continuous support to achieve team goals.
- Ensure compliance with council, GSUSA, federal and state policies, while ensuring that organizational goals are met.
- Inspire innovation.
Develop and Implement Strategies for Community Development Initiatives that reach girls in defined areas.
- Oversee development and implementation of all outreach efforts in assigned communities throughout the Council to meet annual membership goals.
- Using Girl Scout national program pillars, supervise the development and implementation of quality Girl Scout experiences relevant to the intended audience empowering participants to achieve leadership outcomes.
- Collect, analyze and proactively apply internal and external data to achieve desired outcomes including monitoring and interpreting community trends that can influence future initiatives.
- Participate in the creation of and monitor/implement grant funded programs assigned including budget oversight and required report submission.
Provide ongoing support, supervision and direction to program partners and volunteers
- Interpret GSUSA and Council policies, standards and procedures and ensure the availability of support services to enable partners/volunteers to carry out the responsibilities of their positions effectively.
- Identify the need for, and provide, conflict resolution in an appropriate time frame for participants.
- Maintain high customer responsiveness in key areas of responsibility.
- Ensure the effective flow of communication between partners/volunteers and council staff.
Encourage and actively promote a pluralistic environment
- Ensure support services reflect the demography of the Council and are open to all girls and adults by delivering the Girl Scouts message of pluralism and diversity to members of the Council and external community.
Other Duties (general that apply to all:
- Other duties as may need to support Council business, as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree and/or relevant work experience.
Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience in community development and engagement
Skills: Outstanding Oral and Written Communication Skills – expresses ideas and facts in a clear and understandable manner appropriate for the individual or group; listens to and comprehends what others are saying; prepares organized and structured presentations.
Project Management – demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects while managing conflicting priorities and deadlines; formulates short- and long-term project goals, objectives, schedules and priorities in line with council goals.
Demonstrated ability to work independently; creatively solve problems, and foster a pluralistic environment.
Ability to read, interpret and manage financial data and information.
Leadership – models high levels of motivation, performance, dedication, and commitment; creates, implements, and/or supports council initiatives, policies, and the corporate plan; engages, inspires, encourages, guides, and/or gains others’ support toward accomplishing individual team, council, and GSUSA goals; adapts leadership style to a variety of situations.
Good technical computer skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, customer relationship management systems, and social networking
Qualifications: Able to lift 30 pounds
Other: Ability to work a flexible schedule and provide own transportation
Subscribes to the principles of the Girl Scout Movement
More Grant Opportunities
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.