American Cancer Society
Community Development Manager, American Cancer Society
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
- Executes a portfolio of community-based events, with accountability for significant income targets, as well as event-related mission and advocacy activities. Ensures goal achievement through the effective leadership, engagement, empowerment and mobilization of event volunteers.
- Accountable for the achievement of income performance targets for a portfolio of community-based events which may include: Relay For Life, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, Distinguished Events, and other community fundraising events.
- Responsible for effectively and efficiently completing activities and meeting target deadlines in order to execute successful events.
- Implements best practices for event revenue growth; drives and encourages creativity and innovation at the event level.
- Monitors financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
- Engages, recruits, trains and manages relationships with community volunteers to ensure successful events execution.
- Manage temporary and/or part time event staff team to ensure successful events execution (i.e.- for urban model MSABC events).
- Engages the community to drive increased event participation; including event committee, teams, team members, sponsors, survivor/caregiver engagement, and youth engagement.
- Actively collaborates with Community Development Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, and ACS CAN staff to maximize event success; leverages opportunities to engage constituents from corporate, distinguished partners and health systems activities in events through event sponsorship and participation
- Works in partnership with Cancer Control staff for achievement of identified event-related mission goals, including enterprise-wide initiatives. Integrates mission/cancer control activities messaging and within events.
- Partners with enterprise support and region support services functions and ensures appropriate support is provided for successful execution of events.
- Utilizes available tools and processes to maximize event results, including online fundraising.
- Utilizes and responds to customer experience survey, comparative event and success factors data.
- Facilitates volunteer retention and ensures meaningful volunteer recognition.
- Utilizes defined processes to ensure timely and accurate event data entry.
- Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls.
- Support ACS CAN grassroots efforts including, ACS CAN membership.
- Maintains productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
- Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. One year related experience preferred, working within a multi-million dollar organization a plus.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.