Korean Community Development Services Center
Community and Economic Development Assistant, North 5th Street Revitalization Project
The North 5th Street Revitalization Project (N5SRP) is seeking an outgoing, organized, and community-minded individual to join its passionate team. The Assistant will gain hands on experience in commercial corridor revitalization work in one of Philadelphia’s most ethnically diverse and exciting commercial districts. The Assistant will also receive training, networking opportunities, and professional development.
Organization and Program Description
N5SRP is a program of the Korean Community Development Services Center (KCDSC). KCDSC is a social services and community development corporation that has served Philadelphia’s Olney neighborhood since 1984. Its community economic development program, N5SRP, enhances the quality of life for the merchants and residents in and around Olney’s North 5th Street commercial district by 1) improving and maintaining the streetscape; 2) increasing public safety; 3) supporting existing small businesses and attracting new, viable economic uses; and 4) fostering community connectedness. For a better sense of N5SRP’s activities and approach to community and economic development, visit http://facebook.com/northfifth or http://ShopNorth5th.com
Reporting to the Program Director, the Assistant will work with the N5SRP team to implement N5SRP’s corridor revitalization plan. Specific responsibilities include:
• Assisting with door to door merchant outreach
• Assisting with N5SRP’s Police Log Program
• Updating N5SRP’s commercial property listings and merchant assistance log
• Reporting issues to Philly 311 using the Philly 311 tablet app
• Helping to administer the Storefront Improvement and Business Security Camera programs
• Assisting with spring/summer cleanups and other community events and activities
• Assisting in preparing quarterly reports to funders
• General office maintenance and administrative tasks
• Performing other duties as assigned
• A strong interest and some education or experience in community development, economic development, urban
planning, social work, business or a related field.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Attention to detail and strong time management and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to work well with diverse groups of people and the public, including non-English speakers.
• Energy, flexibility, creativity, and initiative
• Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel • Basic proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
• Experience with WordPress a plus
• Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, French or Spanish language skills a plus
Timeframe and Hours :
The position entails working 15 – 20 hours per week starting April 1, 2018 through June 30, 2018 during normal N5SRP business hours (10am-6pm Mon-Fri). The position may be extended beyond June 2018 contingent upon available funds and staffing needs. Weekly work schedule is flexible and may require limited evening and weekend hours.
Compensation: $14.00 per hour with no benefits.
To Apply: Send a brief cover letter and resume to Stephanie Michel at Stephanie@shopnorth5th.com with ‘Assistant’ in the subject line by Friday, May 4th at 6pm.
The Korean Community Development Services Center is an Equal Opportunity employer who does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion or disability status.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.