Communications Specialist, City of Philadelphia Parks & Rec
Posted by City of Philadelphia on November 13, 2018
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR) advances the prosperity of the city and the progress of her people through intentional and sustained stewardship of over 10,200 acres of public land and waterways as well as through hundreds of safe, stimulating recreation, environmental, and cultural centers. PPR promotes the well-being and growth of the City’s residents by connecting them to the natural world around them, to each other, and to fun, physical, and social opportunities. To learn more about Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, visit http://www.phila.gov/parksandrec, and follow @philaparkandrec on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Rebuilding Community Infrastructure (Rebuild) is an initiative of the Managing Director’s Office to improve physical conditions in selected parks, recreation centers, and libraries. Rebuild is expected to invest hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of the initiative, and a new office was created to carry out Rebuild’s work. In addition to revitalizing neighborhood public spaces, Rebuild is focused on using the projects it funds to empower and engage with community members and promote economic opportunity for diverse businesses and individuals. To learn more about Rebuild, visit http://rebuild.phila.gov.
The Managing Director’s Office (MDO) manages and oversees the operations of the City, including the two departments the Communications Specialist will be supporting: The Department of Parks and Recreation and Rebuild. The Communications Specialist will have a dual reporting relationship to the Strategy & Communications Manager in Parks & Recreation and the Deputy Director of Community Engagement & Communications for Rebuild.
The communications teams are responsible for internal and external communications and marketing. This position will work closely with the Mayor’s Press Office, Department of Parks and Recreation, and the Free Library of Philadelphia. Work products include websites, blogs, social media platforms, media relations, newsletters, events, official correspondence, and marketing collateral.
The Communications Specialist will assist communications staff with content planning and development, press event logistics, social media administration, community engagement, and other duties as assigned. This position will also strive to increase public awareness of PPR and Rebuild’s programs and services, as well as internal employee communications and engagement.
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for:
- Implementing digital strategy and public engagement plans to support organizational goals.
- Drafting, updating, and editing web content on phila.gov and intranets.
- Managing logistics and informational materials for press events; staff ribbon cuttings, groundbreakings, dedications, announcements, and other media events.
- Writing public statements, talking points, speeches, press releases, and written testimony for department staff, as needed.
- Creating slideshows and other presentation materials for leadership.
- Brainstorming and composing stories for use on blogs, newsletters, and social media.
- Social media administration, including brainstorming and creating content, and scheduling posts for social media; monitoring partner accounts and sharing relevant content with followers; managing social media advertising campaigns; and providing social media training and guidance to staff.
- Overseeing email marketing including content creation and list management.
- Preparing monthly performance reports for digital communications and providing recommendations for improvement.
- Overseeing press clipping and photo archives.
- Responding to constituent correspondence received through email, phone, and social media.
- Planning and/or staffing special events (photography and/or tabling).
- Developing content for collateral and coordinating design.
- Supporting administrative tasks.
- Executive Director, Starfinder Foundation
- Development & Operations Coordinator, Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project
- Director of Operations & Development, The Center For Emerging Visual Artists
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.