Free Library of Philadelphia
Communications Manager, Read by 4th campaign
Read by 4th is a citywide effort of an ever-growing network of partners working to dramatically increase the number of children reading on grade-level by the time they begin 4th grade. Led by the Free Library of Philadelphia, the coalition of 100+ organizations works to build school-readiness, promote quality reading instruction, increase access to summer and out-of-school-time learning, and improve daily on-time attendance. A key strategy of all of the campaign’s work is to build awareness of how to support children’s literacy and mobilize communities to advance the goals of the campaign.
Key responsibilities of this position include: managing ongoing communications to partner organizations and families; working with partners to encourage use of campaign communications materials; and ensure the campaign is actively telling the story of the many and diverse partners who are advancing the goals of the campaign. The communications manager will be expected to work independently but also to be able to collaborate with the Free Library of Philadelphia’s communications department and with communications staff at various other partner organizations.
- Manage monthly email newsletters for various constituent groups; ensure that each newsletter includes timely and useful information and appropriately highlights and promotes the work of partners
- Manage and grow Read by 4th’s presence on various social media platforms
- Manage updates to the Readby4th.org website; increase usage of the website
- For all communications platforms, actively seek opportunities to recognize and highlight partners’ work
- Develop graphics materials for newsletters, flyers, social media and website
Partner network capacity building:
- With input from partners and stakeholders, develop strategy to help partners actively promote key campaign messages; develop needed tools and resources as needed
- Draft and edit talking points and other communications content
- Identify and monitor key metrics related to campaign communications and use data on regular basis to inform decision-making
- Develop talking points for Read by 4th staff and partners as necessary
- Develop presentations and collateral to promote the campaign
- Collaborate with communications staff at the Free Library and other partner organizations to align and leverage activities
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.