City of Philadelphia
Communications Manager, Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity
The Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity (CEO) provides leadership on issues of economic justice by advancing racial equity and inclusive growth to ensure that all Philadelphians share in the citys prosperous future and by alleviating the immediate impact of poverty on individuals, families, and communities.CEO is Philadelphias Community Action Agency (CAA); CAAs are private or public agencies created by the 1964 Economic Opportunity Act and federally designated to receive Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) funding.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position oversees all internal and external communication for the Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity (CEO).
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications plan to advance CEOs updated strategic framework
- Design and implement strategies to promote signature events such as CEOs roundtable series and an annual summit, which will take place in spring 2020
- Implement a digital communications strategy, administer the Offices website, and oversee the transition of the Office’s web presence to the City of Philadelphias website http://phila.gov
- Provide day-to-day general communications support for the Office and its leadership by producing outreach materials, digital content, press releases, email communications, and messaging materials
- Support development of departmental documents and annual reports, including the creation of outlines, writing, and editing
- Serve as a spokesperson for CEO when Executive Director is unavailable to do so, including representing organization in the community at public events, and media engagements, as needed
- Produce talking points for the Executive Director and other City officials and partners who participate in public events and media opportunities, as needed
- Participate in regular planning meetings with Department staff
- Develop goals and themes for Department sponsored events
- Identification and recruitment of potential speaker(s) or presenter(s)
- Conduct outreach to media outlets and stakeholders
- Review and provide feedback on brand collateral design concepts prepared by graphic designer to be retained by Department
- Develop run-of-show guidelines for annual summit
- Produce outreach and marketing material for traditional and social media outlets, including, but not limited to, press releases, op-eds, blog posts, tweets, and email announcements
- Recommend strategic positioning and story ideas, including efforts to engage partners and stakeholders in support of the Departments strategic framework
- Coordinate all activities with the Mayors Office of Communications
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.