City Year Greater Philadelphia
Communications Director, City Year
City Year Philadelphia is seeking an energetic, creative, collaborative, and results-oriented individual to serve as Communications Director, overseeing and implementing all communication and marketing initiatives for City Year Philadelphia (CYP). The Communications Director will advance the organization’s goals through strategic marketing and public relations initiatives including media relations, brand management, print and electronic communications, and creative campaign execution. The Communications Director will lead the effort to effectively share City Year’s message to key stakeholders both internally and externally.
About City Year Philadelphia
City Year Philadelphia, founded in 1997, is one of the first and largest City Year sites, with 255 AmeriCorps members serving in 18 schools.
Media and Public Relations
- Develop an overall public relations strategy for the organization, as well as for specific campaigns and initiatives.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of media, marketing, and communications relationships to bolster City Year’s brand recognition and support organizational strategies.
- Develop and manage a “message calendar” commensurate with City Year Philadelphia’s benchmarks and milestones throughout the year, including national and local events, media pitches, and external partnerships.
- In partnership with site leadership, oversee all crisis communications.
Brand Management and Marketing Communications
- Oversee the creation of all communications collateral, including multi-media, videos, website, media materials, electronic newsletters and invitations, donor reports, and other items as needed.
- Produce a suite of marketing materials and tools to support current and prospective local and national partnerships.
- Develop and implement a plan to increase City Year Philadelphia’s online presence related to our website, blog, and social media efforts, including the #MakeBetterHappen campaign.
- In partnership with the development team, develop cause marketing campaigns to engage new and existing partners and increase awareness of City Year in the local community.
- Create a system to track results of all campaigns’ impact on fundraising and recruitment efforts.
External Relations and Site Support
- Work closely with City Year Philadelphia’s development team to understand priorities and business goals, and develop strategies to meet the team’s needs.
- Implement a marketing, communications, and messaging plan for each site-wide event, including the annual fundraising dinner, Opening Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, and other events as needed.
- Provides strategic direction for CYP’s Visitor Program through which prospective partners are introduced to our school-based service.
- Train and develop staff and corps members to effectively share their City Year story to the school district, service partners, and donor community.
- Partner with CYP’s staff team to ensure that site-wide goals are met. This includes, but is not limited to, the AmeriCorps member applicant interview process, event and service day participation, and cross-departmental committees.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.