Charismatic Science Educator for National Tour, Wondergy
National Travel, Based in Philadelphia, PA
We want YOU for Science/Engineering Education Outreach.
Travel the country presenting exciting school assemblies where audiences truly LEARN.
Wondergy is seeking charismatic scientists who want to travel the country presenting school assemblies. You’ll present an unscripted interactive show, engaging with students’ questions and ideas, and making it fun, educational, and exciting. You will visit over 80k students in over 30 states, and make a huge impact on the world. This is a full time job on the road, requiring a lot of driving. We provide full-time competitive compensation, all of the equipment for travel and science demonstrations, plus training and general support.
Based in west Philadelphia since 2003, Wondergy uses science to educate, change attitudes, and affect behavior. The Wondergy team brings knowledge, experience, and personal excitement about science to create exciting, inviting interactions that empower people to learn about the phenomena that matter to them. Through promoting learning, we build a stronger workforce, smarter consumers, and more informed stewardship of our world.
- Present 7-11 45-minute assembly programs each week for 100-500 students per show
- Guide inquiry-driven science exploration; encourage questioning and discovery
- Share your excitement about science and engineering with diverse communities
- Pack, setup, re-pack science demo and sound equipment
- Communicate with schools to coordinate arrival and setup
- Drive from school to school – this tour will involve very substantial solo or duo driving around the country
- National Tour begins mid-September and ends May or June
- Occasional training and occasional shows starting in the spring – scheduled by your availability and ours
- Full time travelling tour, Robotics and Energy spend Fall in the eastern US, Spring in the west, with substantial time on the west coast
- Breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year’s, and a few long weekends
- Some flexibility in tour schedule and breaks are possible, with advance notice
- Email lesson plans and science information, in advance, to each school you visit
- No sales duties. You’ll be sent a schedule each week.
- Possible local and/or international travel when not on tour
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Science or Engineering background strongly preferred
- Some computer programming experience preferred, especially for the robotics tour
- Comfortable with electronics, computers, and technology
- Charismatic and passionate, with strong communication skills.
- Creative and able to improvise; you should welcome audience questions, ideas, and jokes!
- Comfortable in front of large audiences – performance, teaching, or public speaking experience preferred
- Able to articulate complex concepts in a simple yet accurate manner
- Comfortable with basic physical science concepts relating to electricity, circuits, and magnetism
- Clean, valid drivers’ license and background check
- Able to lift and carry over 50lbs
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.