Call for Presenters: Local, Sustainable Healthcare Food and Healthy Communities
Posted by on February 9, 2009
When: June 30 – July 1, 2009
Where: MGM Grand Hotel, Detroit, MI
As places of healing, hospitals have a natural incentive to provide food that’s healthy for people and the environment in which we live. By understanding the link between food production and food related disease, health care practitioners can begin to educate their patients, model appropriate food purchasing and help transition the way in which our food is grown and distributed to one that is protective of human health and the environment.
This conference is designed to help participants incorporate sustainable and nutritious food purchasing at their facilities, and learn cost effective strategies that emphasize health concerns that meet the unique needs of healthcare and facilitate the development of healthy communities. Presentations will be geared towards healthcare providers, dieticians, food service directors and food procurement and distribution professionals.
* To provide examples of best practices in nutritious, local sustainable food purchasing and food service practices from the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
* To provide procurement and policy tools which support a nutritious, local sustainable food supply chain and development of healthy communities.
* To provide cost effective strategies to implement nutritious, local sustainable food procurement in health care and group purchasing organizations.
* Breakout Tracks: Obesity and the Food System
* Protecting Antibiotics through Sustainable Food Procurement
* Sustainable Meat Production and Nutrition
* Food Waste Management and Bioplastics Serviceware
* Implementing Farmers Markets and Onsite Gardens
* Understanding Food Certification Ecolabels- Organic, Food Alliance and Other
* Food Miles, Seasonal Menu Planning, and Local Procurement
* Case Studies
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
Dieticians can receive up to 9 hours of CPEUs for attendance at the FoodMed conference. These hours will be awarded at the CPE Level 2. Certificates available at the completion of the conference.
For more information, questions, or comments about FoodMed 2009, please contact us at:
This year, FoodMed 09 – The Conference on Local, Sustainable Healthcare Food and Healthy Communities (http://www.foodmed.org) is issuing a limited call for proposals out of our interest in building on the diversity of issues and ideas. Please see attached or follow the above link. We look forward to your submission.
Submissions are due March 20, 2009.
- Submit a Proposal for the HIV Prevention and Education Virtual Conference – Mar 24
- National Service-Learning Conference Student Showcase – Deadline Extended – Feb 26
- Frontiers of Social Innovation: People, Power, Resources: Enacting an Equitable Future – May 11-13
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.