Call for Partnerships + Community Volunteers: Callowhill Community Fridge
Posted by Callowhil Community Fridge on October 20, 2020
In Philadelphia alone, over 21% of our community is experiencing food insecurity and over a quarter of our city is living in deep poverty. As we stand with the revitalized movement for Black liberation, calls for accessible, nutritious food and affordable housing for all, and the dismantling of all oppressive systems, we plan to do our part to care for one another and feed each other.
You may have noticed that community fridges have been popping up across the country. These fridges are purely volunteer run and are rooted in their communities– resources that are by and for our neighbors. We would like to bring one to our community near Callowhill and we would love your help in doing so!
We are Samyuktha and Robbie, two residents in the Callowhill area who believe in the power of the collective and are inspired by the mutual aid movements + community fridges that are popping up across the city.
Here are a few great examples of community fridges in Philadelphia:
- Mama Tees
- The People’s Fridge
- Germantown Community Fridge
- PHL Community Fridge
We are looking to bring a similar resource to the Callowhill area.
Now, for some exciting news! We have secured funding for a fridge and are just a few key steps away from launching. Here’s what we need your help with:
- Ideas on an accessible location to host the fridge in this area (or beyond)
- Partnerships with community-based food justice and mutual aid organizers.
- Neighbors and community members to create a network of dedicated volunteers.
- Connections with local restaurants, grocery stores, and food resource organizations to keep our fridge well-stocked and our community well-fed.
We know that we have the capacity to show up in solidarity and support for one another and we hope that you will join us. With the assistance of our community, we hope to have a fridge up and running before the holidays!
Please fill out this form with any insight or information you can offer, to guide us in bringing a community-led fridge to life in our neighborhood: https://forms.gle/oF49HVyRXvYaifCk7.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Call for Partnerships + Community Volunteers: Callowhill Community Fridge
- Near Peer Coaches for 1st & 2nd Year Temple students
- Shelter Health Outreach Program: Collaborators and Donations Needed
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.