Business/Sales Manager, Philadelphia Public School Notebook
Philadelphia Public School Notebook
3721 Midvale Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19129
Job opportunity: Business/Sales Manager
Public School Notebook has an opening for a Business/Sales Manager, responsible for ensuring continued growth of an award-winning local newspaper via non-grant revenue sources: advertising, events, and subscription sales. Other responsibilities include raising the visibility of the Notebook in Philadelphia, managing the Notebook’s distribution, financial record-keeping, and building the community of supporters and volunteers around the newspaper.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Manage and conduct Notebook’s ad sales program and pursue key areas for expansion of ad revenues including premium ad space, advertising inserts/supplements, and web ads. This will involve presentations to potential advertisers, attending networking events, and attending appropriate marketing/sales training.
2. Develop marketing and promotional materials in print and for the web.
3. Coordinate Notebook’s annual June fundraising celebration and pursue other opportunities for fundraising through special events, such as house parties. Staff event committee, oversee logistics, coordinate sponsorships, and ticket sales.
4. Oversee sales of mail subscriptions, renewals, and bulk orders. Work with director on efforts to solicit donations from subscribers and cultivate major donors.
5. Manage Notebook?s extensive newspaper distribution network of 600 sites, expanding distribution and installing newsracks as funding permits.
6. Explore possibilities for sponsorships from and partnerships with corporations and universities to bring additional resources to the Notebook.
7. Work with director to produce budgets and maintain financial records.
8. Manage Notebook database and perform other administrative duties as needed.
9. Develop and annually update a plan for generating new revenues from marketing activities to permit this position to become self-sustaining after two years.
? Demonstrated marketing skills; experience with sales and/or donor solicitation.
? Strong business management skills and attention to detail.
? Previous newspaper experience or nonprofit development experience a plus.
? Strong communications skills, both written and oral.
? Ability to work both collectively and independently; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
? Compatibility with the Notebook?s mission. Commitment to quality and equality in public schools, public engagement in education issues, racial and economic justice.
Compensation package includes base salary, incentives and a comprehensive benefits plan. This is a full time position. Application deadline is January 19, 2007 or until position is filled. Applicants are asked to mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter and resume to: 3721 Midvale Ave., Phila., PA 19129; fax: (215) 951-0342; firstname.lastname@example.org
The Philadelphia Public School Notebook is an independent quarterly newspaper that serves as an information source and a voice for those trying to improve Philadelphia?s public schools ? parents, students, educators, and concerned citizens. The mission of the Notebook is to create a strong ?public will? for change in the city schools and for public schools that serve all children well. The paper is in its 13th year of publication and has a circulation of 52,000 copies, most of them distributed free of charge through schools, libraries, and community organizations. The Notebook is an equal opportunity employer. December 2006
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.