Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English), Mighty Writers
Posted by Mighty Writers on April 4, 2016
About Mighty Writers
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches Philadelphia kids, seven to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, out-of-school writing programs in South, West & North Philadelphia have grown to serve 2,000 kids a year. We currently have four locations in Philadelphia, including a bilingual (Spanish/English) site in the Italian Market section of Philadelphia, a hub of the Mexican American community.
The MW Bilingual Writing Instructor will write curriculum and teach in a variety of capacities at Mighty Writers El Futuro. S/he will work with the Mighty Writers leadership team to revise and refine our curriculum annually. The MW Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English) will establish and teach an aggressive lineup of year-round, bilingual (Spanish/English), out-of-school programs, five afternoons/evenings a week, supported in large part by a robust volunteer program.
The successful applicant will be entrepreneurial: able to build unique programs, to be accountable and to take ownership of program results. S/he will have high expectations for students, will work well with diverse constituencies and will have a good rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds, including children, teenagers, parents and volunteers. S/he will be self-motivated, work well under pressure and be able to handle several projects at one time. S/he will have good judgment and an eye for detail; as well as the ability to see the big picture. Native Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Be a part-time (starting at 25 hours/week) face of Mighty Writers, serving as primary parent liaison and translator
• Recruit kids and teens for programs, workshops and mentorships through targeted outreach to students, parents, educators and community members
• Revise and translate written materials for the site, as needed
• Manage and implement writing curriculum for the MW Academy four days a week for kids in grades 3-8, serving as Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English) for up to 21 students in grades 3-4
• Revise and refine organization-wide curriculum annually (as a part of a team)
• Design, implement and teach a series of writing workshops for students from various age groups
• Support evaluation to track and measure student progress across programs
• Help to oversee all operations, such as:
o Troubleshoot physical site issues as needed (electric, HVAC, plumbing)
o Keep sites in good shape
o Outfit spaces with new/current technology and replace as needed
o Update décor as needed
o Systems (computers, phones)
The Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English) also manages some administrative tasks such as:
o Light filing
o Data entry
o Document creation
• Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers’ policies or operations
• Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information
• The Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English) reports to the Program Director of their site.
• The Bilingual Writing Instructor (Spanish/English) will share responsibility for continuing, training and managing volunteer program, to ultimately include at least 150 volunteers annually.
Education and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Arts Administration, Liberal Arts, History, English (preferred, but not required); and/or equivalent prior experience
• Experience working directly with city youth in an educational setting
• Understanding of community youth development programming
• Minimum of 2 years of direct experience working with youth in an education-focused environment
• A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong research, organizational, time management and computer skills
• Proven management and leadership capabilities
• Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adults
Native Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cover letter should answer these questions:
• What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
• How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
- President, Campus Philly
- Associate Director, Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship, Princeton U.
- Clinical Research Coordinator
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.