Bilingual Program Manager, Mighty Writers
Posted by Mighty Writers on November 21, 2016
Bilingual Program Manager (English/Spanish)
BILINGUAL PROGRAM MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Starting at 25 hours/week
About Mighty Writers
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches Philadelphia kids, seven to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, out-of-school writing programs in South, West & North Philadelphia have grown to serve 2,500 kids a year. We currently have four locations in Philadelphia, including a bilingual (Spanish/English) site in the 9th Street Market section of Philadelphia, a hub of the Mexican American community.
The Program Manager reports to the Program Director and serves as support in managing many aspects of site including managing daily activities, creating and managing program content and initiatives including:
- Volunteer/intern program
- Program registration
- Program evaluation
- Site phone calls
- Snack program
The Program Manager also assists with some administrative tasks such as:
- Light filing
- Data entry
- Document creation
Candidate will have regular interaction with MW upper management and is expected to provide project updates and report on the state of the program. The Bilingual Program Manager will write curriculum and teach in a variety of capacities at Mighty Writers El Futuro. The MW Bilingual Program Manager (Spanish/English) will establish and teach an aggressive lineup of year-round, bilingual (Spanish/English), out-of-school programs, five afternoons/evenings a week, supported in large part by a robust volunteer program.
The successful applicant will be entrepreneurial: able to build unique programs, to be accountable and to take ownership of program results. S/he will have high expectations for students, will work well with diverse constituencies and will have a good rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds, including children, teenagers, parents and volunteers. S/he will be self-motivated, work well under pressure and be able to handle several projects at one time. S/he will have good judgment and an eye for detail; as well as the ability to see the big picture.
- Be a part-time (starting at 25 hours/week) face of Mighty Writers, serving as parent liaison and translator
- Recruit kids and teens for programs, workshops and mentorships through targeted outreach to students, parents, educators and community members
- Create, revise and translate written materials for the site
- Maintain a physical presence and support programs at site; Mon-Thurs and Sat, in conjunction with Program Director.
- Design, deliver & manage daily afterschool Academy for either elementary or middle school group, in collaboration with other Program Managers and Directors
- Serve approx. 15-20 students at your site in daily programming (3-6pm, Mon-Thurs, school year only).
- Design, deliver & manage weekly Teen Scholars program, or similar weekly enrichment program for high schoolers (2 hours, one evening a week), including college tours.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to other staff and interns to ensure the continued success of all involved programs: Academy and Teen Scholars.
- Help to oversee all operations, such as:
- Be one of the public faces of the organization and represent Mighty Writers to the media, other organizations and the public at large
- Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers’ policies or operations
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information
- Troubleshoot physical site issues as needed (electric, HVAC, plumbing) Keep sites in good shape Outfit spaces with new/current technology and replace as needed Update décor as needed Systems (computers, phones)
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Arts Administration, Liberal Arts, History, English, Social Work, or Public Administration (preferred, but not required); and/or equivalent prior experience
- Experience working directly with city youth in an educational setting
- Strong writing skills
- Minimum of 2 years of direct experience working with youth in an educational environment
- A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
- Proven management and leadership capabilities
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adults
- Salary commensurate with experience
Native Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Cover letter should answer these questions:
What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
- Empowerment Coach, Cathedral Kitchen
- Employment Training Program Coordinator and Case Manager, Cathedral Kitchen
- Remote Community Engagement Positions, CCPH – Jan 29
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.