Bike Share Community Liaison, Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
Posted by Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia on June 8, 2015
JOB TITLE: Bike Share Community Liaison
BENEFITS: Health insurance, 401K options, vacation, sick & personal leave, bicycle benefit
START DATE: July 15th, 2015
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia makes bicycling a safe and fun way to get around for anyone in Greater Philadelphia. Bike sharing, which came to Philadelphia Spring 2015, represents an inexpensive, accessible, and healthy new form of public transportation. Philadelphia wants to ensure that bike sharing’s benefits are accessible to all Philadelphia citizens, but the experience of other US bike share systems shows that low-income residents (who could most benefit from cheaper transportation) use bike sharing at a disproportionately low rate. In response, the BCGP is managing a large-scale public outreach program to support the activation and use of bike share stations in low-income neighborhoods of Philadelphia, including holding community events and providing ongoing support to these communities.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Bike Share Community Liaison reports to the Bike Share Outreach Manager.
The Bike Community Liaison will:
● Work out of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia office
● Occasionally work outdoors and on weekends and evenings
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Bike Share Community Liaison
● Assist in implementing an outreach program to increase awareness and use of bike sharing in low income neighborhoods, including:
○ Build relationships with neighborhood groups, non-profit organizations, and individuals to promote bike share by attending meetings and events
○ Train and manage neighborhood bike share station champions
○ Distribute outreach materials in a variety of ways to promote bike share in low income
○ Coordinate and staff station activation events (rides, classes, workshops, demonstrations) in priority neighborhoods
○ Implement a program evaluation method including baseline data from which we can
compare future results.
● Work closely with the bike share operator to coordinate with overall marketing efforts and partner with the staff person responsible for maintaining bike share memberships that are not secured with a credit card
● Create content for our bike share station champion toolkit
● Work with the BCGP communications manager to capture biking images for social media, materials, and broader marketing
● Investigate best practices and existing research that relate to bike share and biking among low income populations
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
● A commitment to the Bicycle Coalition’s mission
● Ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status or sexual orientation.
● Ability to be persistent, professional and creative when marketing and selling bike share.
● Ability to write and speak in a professional, friendly and accurate manner.
● Ability to stay calm and collected in challenging situations.
● Comfortable presenting information to and engaging large groups with humor and enthusiasm.
● A professional appearance and manner in the community and the office.
● Willingness to visit any Philadelphia neighborhood on foot, bicycle or by public transit.
● Commitment to following traffic safety laws and using all appropriate safety gear including helmets, reflective material, etc.
● Punctuality and good attendance.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
We prefer candidates with these qualifications:
● College graduate with previous work experience.
● Fluency in a language other than English, especially Spanish.
● Familiarity with bike sharing systems.
● Previous non-profit or community organizing experience.
● Event planning and promotion experience.
● Experience with Salesforce database.
● Experience bicycling, walking or using public transportation in Philadelphia.
● Familiarity with the city of Philadelphia and its layout
Interested Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Education Director, Megan Rosenbach: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday June 19th at 5 PM.
*Please no phone calls. Only candidates who we move forward with will receive notification
People of color strongly encouraged to apply. The Bicycle Coalition is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.