Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
Bicycle Coalition Youth Cycling Program (BCYC) Coordinator, Bike Coalition of GP
COMPENSATION: $28,000 – $32,000, commensurate with experience
BENEFITS: Health insurance, 401K option, vacation, sick & personal leave
START DATE: June 18th, 2018
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Through advocacy and education, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia (BCGP) leads the movement to make bicycling safe and fun for anyone who wants to ride in our region. We believe that people from all racial and economic backgrounds should have access to safe, healthy and affordable transportation options in the communities where they live, work, learn, and play.
The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia (BCGP) is hiring a program coordinator to support the operations of Bicycle Coalition Youth Cycling (BCYC), a youth program that fosters healthy habits, independence, and leadership in Philadelphia youth through the sport of cycling. BCGP is in its fourth year of running BCYC, formerly known as Cadence Youth Cycling. BCYC runs road cycling teams at Title One high schools and community centers from March to June impacting approximately 100 students across 6-8 sites. Athletes who demonstrate leadership, responsibility and sportsmanship have the opportunity to join the BCYC All Star Leadership Team, which runs throughout the year providing students the opportunity to join our Race, Tour, Tri, Cyclocross teams and take advantage of a number of leadership and academic support tracks. The program coordinator will support any and all major operations, logistics, and implementation of BCYC Programming alongside the program manager which include but are not limited to: student recruitment, event planning, inventory management and maintenance, and volunteer coordination.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
BCYC Program Coordinator…
● Reports to the BCYC Program Manager, Taylor Kuyk-White.
● Works out of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia office as well as on site where programs operate (West, Northwest, and North Philly as well as event sites across the region).
● Works outdoors and on weekends and evenings as needed, especially from March – August.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the coordinator will flex slightly based on the areas of competency brought by the chosen candidate. See more about this in desired qualifications.
1. Student Recruitment and Retention
● Work with site support staff to promote our programs at partner sites throughout the city, ensuring core teams are filled with teams of 10-15 students in the spring and summer, helping to hit our goal of 150 core participants by 2020.
● Support coaches and program manager in nominating and implementing all star testing across sites, helping to hit our goal of 50 committed all stars by 2020.
● Participate in core and All Star programs 2-3 times a week to mentor coaches and build relationships with athletes and staff alike.
● Maintain relationships with athletes, parents, and coaches to ensure good athlete participation across programs.
2. Event Coordination
● Coordinate details such as food, routes, timing logistics, and meeting locations for core and all star events.
● Promote these events to athletes and parents through social media, flyers, phone calls, etc.
● Recruit full teams at each site before the start of spring season.
● Manage travel logistics, race registration, meals, and budget for all star team races and events during the summer and fall.
● Work with coaches, athletes, and parents to provide detailed itineraries at least 2 weeks in advance of each field trip that requires vehicular travel.
3. Inventory Management
● Assure sites have appropriate materials and equipment in advance of season start.
● Transport bikes and inventory via cargo van to sites, storage, bike shop partners, etc.
● Manage bike inventory process, including storage and ordering tools and components.
● Conduct bi-weekly site visits during the spring to offer inventory drop offs and core bike tune ups.
● Host monthly all star maintenance days to repair bikes that remain in youth’s possession year round.
● Manage winter core bike overhauls
● Keep an active fleet log noting location, status, and rider of all bikes in the fleet.
5. Volunteer Management
● Recruit volunteers through regularly updating volunteer opportunities on a sign up log and matching interested applicants to available opportunities.
● Conduct small volunteer trainings when new volunteers come aboard outside of coach training season.
● Support and manage volunteers at their posting.
6. Leading Youth Programming
● Sub for and mentor coaches in leading safe and enriching cycling practices at any of our core or all star sessions.
● Gather curriculum and facilitate programming for our leadership programs such as homework help, cycle squad, and youth advisory committee
7. Uphold BCYC’s commitment to racial, economic, gender, sexuality, and ability equity, access, safety, and justice:
● Create and uphold a culture of safe space and identity celebration at our cycling sites through mentorship, coach training, and resource sharing.
● Support our youth leaders in connecting their work and our resources within BCYC to social justice movements they are passionate about.
● Use your platform and resources as a BCGP employee to advocate for social issues we value.
DESIRED QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
The Program Coordinator will work very closely with the Program Manager to support the operations and implementation of all essential functions of the BCYC Program. BCYC is a multi-faceted program by nature, and as such requires a dynamic individual. We aim to hire a coordinator that has experience and competence in most of the following areas, and an ability and interest in learning and growing into the remaining areas. Please detail in your cover letter the breakdown of your skill and experience in the following areas.
● ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: The program coordinator will have superior organization and communication skills, including attention to detail and prompt email and phone response time. Flexibility and resourcefulness during unexpected challenges are both keys to success.
● BICYCLE MECHANICS: The ideal candidate brings a intermediate to advanced level of experience as a bike mechanic, leaving them competent to As the head of our inventory and maintenance, the program coordinator must be an experienced mechanic. The candidate should have the ability to quickly assess and repair mechanical problems on a variety of bicycles and be prepared to oversee a well stocked and operational shop space.
● CYCLING BACKGROUND: The program coordinator’s role relies heavily on the candidate’s knowledge and experience in competitive cycling in a variety of disciplines to plan successful cycling events and coordinate race logistics. The ideal candidate comes to us with at least 2 years of bicycle racing experience.
● POSITIVE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: Our desired candidate brings experience and values rooted in mentoring youth in accordance with positive youth development principles. Embracing youth leadership, employing trauma sensitive mentorship, and commitment to building relationships are all important aspects of our program.
Candidate must also:
● Have a valid driver’s license with a clean record and at least 3 years of driving experience.
● Pass PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Clearance
● Be willing to visit any Philadelphia neighborhood on foot, bicycle or by public transit.
● Commit to following traffic safety laws and using all appropriate safety gear including helmets, lights, etc.
All interested candidates should send the following to Search@bicyclecoalition.org
● An up-to-date resume
● A cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at BCGP and what makes you a good fit specifically for the BCYC Program Coordinator role. Be sure to relay your story in addition to your professional attributes.
● References will be requested as the hiring process moves forward.
● Email subject should read: “[last name] BCYC Program Coordinator application”
Application Deadline: Rolling, with May 21st receiving priority.
● With a start date of June 18th, we aim to make a hiring offer by June 1st.
● Phone Interviews will begin on May 21st with in person interviews to follow. Applications received before this time will receive priority.
We thank all applicants; we will contact only those selected for interview
The Bicycle Coalition is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race,
color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability,
sex or age.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.