Assoc. Director of Strategic Initiatives, GPUAC
GREATER PHILADELPHIA URBAN AFFAIRS COALITION
POSITION: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
DEPARTMENT: STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC INTIATIVES
The Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition (GPUAC) Strategic Initiatives Department is looking for a qualified Associate Director of Strategic Initiatives to assist the Director of Strategic Initiatives and President in helping to shape and influence public policy, with a primary focus on addressing current urban problems. In addition to the above, this individual will serve as a liaison between GPUAC programs and policy committees in addressing key policy issues throughout the City of Philadelphia region.
– Serve as a liaison on policy with GPUAC programs. Facilitates information and implementation of the policy agenda with the programs and creates new initiatives as appropriate.
– Represent GPUAC as an advocate and voice for its activities with external stakeholders.
– Coordinate efforts to establish appropriate programmatic response to public policy issues raised by the President and Director of Strategic Initiatives.
– Conduct research through literature scan and legislative review and report on key policy areas.
– Research and develop written concept papers, grants, briefing notes and testimony on policy areas.
– Maintain current knowledge and understanding of federal, state, and local legislative activity and develop strategies for addressing social issues.
– Support the President in external relationships with government and foundation funders to assist in efforts to influence public policy.
– Work with the Director of Strategic Initiatives to identify public policy issues and seek out appropriate funding and programmatic partnerships.
– Participate in identifying and cultivating government and foundation funders.
– Participate in providing support to GPUAC Board of Directors and other policy-specific advisory committees including Strategic Planning, Blueprint to End Homelessness, Community and Economic Development and Education, Children and Youth.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
– A Bachelors Degree is required (Masters preferred).
– Three to five (3 – 5) years of related work experience.
– Must be able to work collaboratively and have experience interfacing with a wide range of internal and external constituents, including nonprofit community groups, academic institutions, businesses, government agencies and officials.
– Must be thoroughly versed in a wide range of public policy issues.
– Must demonstrate excellent writing skills (writing samples will be required). Some grant writing experience a plus.
– Must be able to travel throughout the City of Philadelphia and on occasion to locations within the region.
– Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
– Knowledge and experience with project management practices.
– Must be highly organized with excellent analytical ability.
– Must maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity, trust, and confidence.
– Must have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
– Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits package.
Send cover letter and resume with salary requirement to:
Sandra Higginbotham, Human Resources Manager
Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition
1207 Chestnut Street, Suite 700
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Fax: (215) 851-0514
GPUAC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.