Assistant Manager, Greensgrow West
Posted by Greensgrow Farms on May 29, 2017
Greensgrow Farms has been a leader in the urban agriculture movement since 1997. Along with our urban crop production, Greensgrow is a trailblazer for urban sustainability, a champion of demonstrating how city dwellers can green their urban space, expanding access to fresh food, and innovating how to revitalize land once deemed useless. We operate as a social entrepreneurship based non-profit and run an award winning Garden Center, Summer CSA, Winter CSA, and local Farm Stands. Greensgrow also operates a community kitchen that serves as an entrepreneurial incubator for the local food maker industry, as well as food access initiatives comprised of mobile markets, culinary education, and a farm share program geared towards SNAP recipients. Greensgrow West is our first satellite location, serving the diverse constituency of West and Southwest Philadelphia. We encourage all applicants to read about the scope of our services and activities online.
The Assistant Manager is responsible for the supervision and maintenance of staff, products, and programs of the Greensgrow West garden center in coordination with the Greensgrow West Site Manager and the Greensgrow General Manager. They must work collaboratively with all Greensgrow staff to ensure that products and customers needs are properly met. The Assistant Manager must be committed to the mission and objectives of Greensgrow, and the role of Greensgrow Farmstand and Garden Center in advance of that mission. Teamwork is paramount to ensuring we succeed, and all employees are expected be flexible and assist with duties outside of their job descriptions in support of other teams and the organization as a whole.
● Support the Site Manager by operating the garden center and retail operation at a high level of customer service, operational professionalism, staff and volunteer management, and proactively considering new avenues and ideas for advancing the goals of the organization
● Work with and assist in training staff members, interns and volunteers to ensure proper care of all plant material
● Assist customers and community partners
● Stock, rotate and price merchandise as needed
● Complete assigned task sheet/report incomplete tasks at end of day
● Maintain the site and ensure a safe, neat, clean and orderly presentation for staff, neighbors, and guests. Take prompt appropriate action to correct problems and report all concerns to the Site Manager
● Work proactively and thoughtfully to improve our service to the community through our workshops, events, selection of products for sale, and our demonstration garden and production spaces
● Horticultural ability sufficient to determine the appropriate actions to take to identify dangers to the health of our plant stock and determine proper care and treatment, and to pass on that knowledge to our customers as needed.
● Commitment to building strong neighborhood partnerships
● Strong, comprehensive plant knowledge
● Excellent communication and customer care skills
● Ability to organize and multi-task
● Retail and inventory management experience, including prior experience with POS systems
● Willingness to work weekend, evening and holiday hours as required
● Valid driver’s license, and comfort with or willingness to develop competency with power tools, forklifts, and other trade tools
This is a seasonal (April-December) full-time position paid bi-weekly at $14/hr. Position will be eligible for commensurate staff benefits, including a farm share, acupuncture, and paid time off.
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with the subject: Greensgrow West: Assistant Manager. Greensgrow is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religious preference, or disability.
No phone calls please.
- Stoneleigh Emerging Leader Fellowship Opportunities
- Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies and Director of Academic Innovation, Albion College, The Phila. Center
- Director of Training / Associate Director, Drexel University Counseling Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.