Penn State University
Application open for 2015 Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Agricultural Sciences
(PGSAS). This no-cost program provides high school juniors with the opportunity to live on campus at Penn State University (University Park campus) and participate in an intensive study of the agricultural sciences. PGSAS is a five week, residential program that allows students to engage with and explore agricultural sciences through core courses, hands-on laboratory/field-based learning, field trips, special events and unique lectures.
The PGSAS program allows students to think about their life beyond high school in a new way, as they gain a better understanding of the opportunities in the agricultural sciences and spend five weeks living and learning on the campus of a major university. The program creates a collaborative living and learning environment, with inquiry-based learning and hands-on projects driving their work throughout the program.
When: July 12, 2015 – August 14, 2015
Where: The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
Who may apply:
· Must be a current junior at time of application.
· Must be a resident of Pennsylvania, attending a public, charter, cyber or non-public secondary school, or be homeschooled.
· Application form is available at the PGSAS website: http://agsci.psu.edu/governors-school
· Applicants must demonstrate excellence in academic achievement, as evidenced by school transcript and standardized test scores.
· Applicants must demonstrate sustained interest and involvement in environmental/agriculture science, both in and out of the classroom, as evidenced by their resume, essays and letters of recommendation.
· 50 participants will be chosen from the pool of qualified applicants
Cost and commitment:
Successful applicants will receive a full scholarship to attend PGSAS. The scholarship includes the cost of housing, meals, and all instructional materials. Families are responsible for providing transportation to and from the program, and for providing personal items and spending money. Students must commit to being in residence on the Penn State University Park campus for the duration of the program. Trips home during the program are not permitted.
A flyer can be found at: https://xy5l-ty76.accessdomain.com/webmail/index.php/mail/viewmessage/getattachment/folder/INBOX/uniqueId/5791/filenameOriginal/PGSASFlyerStudents2015.pdf
For further information, please visit the PGSAS website at: http://agsci.psu.edu/governors-school
Deadline February 13, 2015
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.