AmeriCorps VISTA: Membership/Buy Local Philly Coordinator, SBN
Posted by on April 13, 2009
AmeriCorps VISTA: Membership/Buy Local Philly Coordinator
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia seeks someone to fill the role of AmeriCorps VISTA – Membership/Buy Local Philly Coordinator. SBN helps local, independent businesses thrive, while they build an economy for people, planet and prosperity for all.
This position will be responsible for connecting local business to SBN programs and services, with a special emphasis on reaching out to emerging and established entrepreneurs in low-income communities. Local, independent businesses can provide much-needed jobs in Philadelphia neighborhoods and they often need support to get established and stay in business. This VISTA will be focus on two program areas:
* Buy Local Philly: Manage and grow our marketing campaign to promote local, independent Philadelphia-based small businesses.
* Membership Services: Support the businesses that SBN serves by assisting business members, connecting them to resources and helping to develop our annual Business Directory.
This position would give an AmeriCorps VISTA the opportunity to interact with a growing and diverse community of local business owners and leaders. Because of the small size of the organization, the VISTA would be intimately involved in the operations of this dynamic, growing organization.
Activities would include, but are not limited to:
* Reaching out to business in low-income neighborhoods where SBN does not have a strong presence
* Reaching out to other organizations that support low-income and minority populations to establish strategic partnerships
* Helping to market Philadelphia-based small businesses through the Buy Local Philly campaign
* Engaging with business members and connecting them to technical assistance and networking opportunities
* Facilitating the Circle of Entrepreneurs in West Philadelphia
* Managing our member database
* Helping to develop a yearly business directory
* Assisting in planning and implementing educational seminars and events
Desired skills and qualifications for the project plans described above include:
* Self-motivated, able to work independently on assigned tasks and take initiative on new projects
* Creative problem solver
* Highly organized and detail-oriented
* Strong communication and writing skills
* Some knowledge of small business development issues and the local economy
* Some demonstrated committment to SBN’s values
* Experience working with diverse communities
* Bachelor’s degree desired but relevant experience could be substituted
* Database experience preferred
* Monthly stipend of $900
* Transportation stipend provided
* VISTA will cover all relocation expenses
* Health coverage
* End of service educational award of $4,725 or stipend of $1,200
Applications are due by May 15, 2009. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Leanne Krueger-Braneky, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone calls about this position are strongly discouraged.
- Staff Attorney, Public Interest Law Center – Apr 5
- Summer Openings for Staff and Apprentices at the Center for Black Educator Development
- Manager, Network Organizing, Engagement, & Knowledge – Mar 26
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.