AmeriCorps Summer Camp Counselor, EducationWorks
Posted by on April 20, 2009
AmeriCorps Summer Camp Counselor
EducationWorks is now accepting applications for our Camp Counselor position, an exciting opportunity to spend a summer providing an enjoyable and dynamic day camp experience for children and youth in urban Philadelphia communities. Camp counselors will begin their term of service with Pre-Service Training, on June 15, 2009 and will serve through August 14, 2009. This AmeriCorps position requires a commitment of at least 40 hours a week and a minimum of 300 hours over the nine week period of service to earn the $1,000 education award.
As a Summer Camp Counselor, you will provide direct service to children in our summer program, participate in planning activities, and assist with collection of necessary summer camp paperwork. Counselors report to a Site Coordinator or Team Leader. Please note that this summer term will count as one of two possible terms of AmeriCorps that you are eligible to serve in a lifetime. Anyone who has already completed two terms of AmeriCorps service is not eligible for this position.
• Assist with enrollment of children
• Mentor individual children
• Plan activities with other camp staff
• Implement activities according to schedules and lesson plans
• Take attendance and manage required paperwork as directed
• Assist with set-up and clean-up of camp activities as needed
• Supervise and direct children according to EW rules and guidance
• Ensure that children are safe at all times
• Attend required trainings
• Develop a positive and proactive relationship with children and youth that fosters appropriate behavior
• Be supportive of high school YouthWorks students assigned to the camp for their summer employment experience and engage them as part of the camp group
• Be familiar with and strive to be in compliance with the Philadelphia Core Standards for Youth Programs
• Other duties as assigned
• High school diploma required; college preferred
• Experience working with children
• Able to be physically active with children
• Experience with urban settings and diverse populations
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to accept supervision and direction
Apply online at http://www.EducationWorks-online.org and note that you are interested in the summer camp counselor position in the application. Both an application and a resume are required for consideration. Questions? Contact the Recruitment Department at Recruitment@EducationWorks-online.org or 215 221 6912.
TERMS OF SERVICE AND BENEFITS FOR PENNSYLVANIA MEMBERS
SERVING IN A FULL-TIME CAPACITY FOR SUMMER 2009
9 WEEK TERM
TERM OF SERVICE: 9 weeks: June 15, 2008 to August 14, 2008
WEEKLY TIME COMMITMENT: 40 hours per week, mostly between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday – Friday, plus two half day Saturday trainings
LIVING ALLOWANCE : $600.00 paid every other week (taxable).
EDUCATION AWARD: Upon completion of service, members receive $1,000 in the form of a voucher. (Taxable when used.)
STUDENT LOAN DEFERMENT: Student loan deferment with accrued interest paid upon completion of service. (Taxable)
ACCIDENT INSURANCE: All members have accident insurance while in service.
LEAVE TIME: July 4 and 1 sick day
UNIFORMS: Shirts provided by EducationWorks.
APPLICATION PROCESS: EducationWorks staff interview followed by site/team interview.
- Senior Program Officer – Child Health and Early Childhood, Center for Health Care Strategies
- Director of Ending Hunger For Good, Philabundance
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.