AmeriCorps Site Coordinator, LIFT-Philadelphia
Site Coordinator / AmeriCorps*National Direct Member, LIFT-Philadelphia
Posted on: April 28, 2011
About the Position:
LIFT-Philadelphia seeks driven and independent leaders to serve as Site Coordinators/AmeriCorps Members. This is a time of significant growth for the organization, and Site Coordinators are responsible for ensuring that LIFT’s anti-poverty mission is achieved at LIFT-Philadelphia.
LIFT-Philadelphia’s mission is to combat poverty and expand opportunity for all people in our community, and we envision a day when all Philadelphians will have the opportunity to achieve economic security and pursue their aspirations. LIFT-Philadelphia engages trained volunteers — dedicated and talented college students — to become advocates for underserved individuals and families. LIFT clients and volunteers work one-on-one to find jobs, secure safe and stable housing, make ends meet through public benefits and tax credits, and obtain quality referrals for critical services like childcare and legal assistance. Simultaneously, the LIFT experience pushes volunteers to grapple with Philadelphia’s most challenging issues related to poverty, race, inequality, and policy. Since LIFT-Philadelphia’s founding in 2003, over 500 volunteers have served more than 5,000 individuals and families. By 2015, our goal in Philadelphia is that 1,000 LIFT-Philadelphia volunteers will have advanced over 20,000 clients on their path toward economic security. LIFT-Philadelphia is part of a growing national movement – besides Philadelphia, LIFT runs centers in Boston, Chicago, New York, and Washington, DC.
The Site Coordinator role is both exciting and challenging, with an array of responsibilities. Site Coordinators recruit and train university student volunteers to provide high quality client service. Simultaneously, Site Coordinators manage on-site delivery of client services and supervise volunteers’ delivery of client services at LIFT-Philadelphia. In addition, Site Coordinators perform some direct service to LIFT clients to assist them in finding jobs, securing housing, enrolling in public benefits, and obtaining referrals for services like childcare and health care. Site Coordinators also build and strengthen partnerships with community and university organizations, and serve as a key voice of the organization at community events, workshops, and trainings. Site Coordinators will work with at least one other Site Coordinator/AmeriCorps Member at LIFT-Philadelphia and will report to LIFT-Philadelphia’s Executive Director.
The position is a two year commitment. The two years of service will begin July 2011 and end in July 2013. However, we will consider excellent candidates who can only commit to one year of service. Mandatory pre-service training will take place for five days in either July or August 2011 (exact dates TBA) in Washington, DC.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
– Coordinate delivery of client services at LIFT-Philadelphia
– Recruit and manage university student volunteer corps
– Provide client service trainings and other related trainings to student volunteer corps
– Oversee and supervise volunteer delivery of client services
– Directly supervise two to five university student directors
– Build and strengthen partnerships with community and university partners
– Work one-on-one with underserved community members to find jobs, secure safe and stable housing, access public benefits and tax credits, and obtain referrals for services like childcare and health care
– Attend meetings and trainings that address local and national poverty issues
– Assist with communications and fundraising initiatives as needed
• Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values.
• All majors and career interests are encouraged to apply. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated a commitment to community service.
• Prior experience working with underserved communities is preferred.
• Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Prior experience designing and leading trainings a plus.
• Ability to thrive in the start-up environment of a fast-growing, entrepreneurial organization. This involves flexibility, adaptability, creativity, ability to take initiative, and a commitment to being a team player.
• Willingness to work some weekends and evenings.
• Living Allowance: LIFT is currently a member of AmeriCorps, the national service network. Through this relationship, Site Coordinators will be given a living stipend of approximately $12,000/year from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
• Education Award/Stipend: Upon completion of the year of service, Site Coordinators will be eligible to receive a $5,350 education award at the end of each year of service ($10,700 over the two years), which may be used to pay back qualified student loans or for future education.
• Housing: Site Coordinators will receive a $200 monthly housing stipend from LIFT in their first year of service and will receive a $400 monthly housing stipend in their 2nd year with LIFT-Philadelphia. (This will be added to the living allowance).
• Health Care: Full health coverage provided, including dental.
• Other Benefits: As long as the individual has not previously served as an AmeriCorps Member, s/he is eligible to receive loan forbearance on qualified student loans during her/his term of service.
Please email resume and cover letter to LIFT-Philadelphia’s Executive Director, Josh Romalis (firstname.lastname@example.org), outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.