Afterschool Webinar: Social and Emotional Learning in Out-of-School Time – Foundations and Futures (Part I)
Posted by Afterschool Alliance on December 4, 2018
Wednesday, Dec 5 at 3:00 PM ET
Social and emotional learning (SEL) has gained popularity as a concept in recent years, and there remains confusion as well as great interest in the meaning and implementation of SEL in out-of-school time settings (OST). During Part I of this webinar series, we are extremely excited to have Elizabeth Devaney from the Children’s Institute at University of Rochester and Deborah Moroney from American Institutes for Research joining us to talk about their new book, Social and Emotional Learning in Out-of-School Time: Foundations and Futures.
This incredible new volume brings together a broad range of researchers, practitioners, and policymakers to define and explain SEL, clarify the language and framework confusion, and share information about how SEL is happening across the country. In this webinar, Devaney and Moroney will start with an overall framing of SEL in out-of-school time from a theoretical perspective, drawing on youth development practice and attempting to clarify some of the confusion that surrounds this topic. They will then share lessons learned from each of the book’s authors, ranging from what SEL looks like in programs, to how SEL can be integrated into systems-building, and how afterschool and summer learning programs can incorporate SEL in their measurement and evaluation efforts.
Join us for a robust conversation that will leave you with a better understanding of how SEL is being framed, implemented, and measured around the country!
- Elizabeth Devaney, Director, SEL Center & Co-Director, TRACC, Children’s Institute, University of Rochester
- Deborah Moroney, Managing Director, American Institutes for Research
- Helen Malone, Director of Institutional Advancement and Education Policy & National Director of the Education Policy Fellowship Program, Institute for Educational Leadership
- Dan Gilbert, Project Manager, Afterschool Alliance (Moderator)
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Constitutional Exchanges from the National Constitution Center: Online Learning Opportunities – Aug 31
- CEA Learning Series: Volunteer Management – Sep 15
- Covering the Gap: Pieces of the Puzzle to Help Pay Your Education Bill – Aug 11 & more
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.