Advancement Associate, St. James School
Posted by St. James School on March 30, 2015
Founded in 2011, St. James School is a unique faith-based middle school in the Episcopal tradition, serving under-resourced students from the Allegheny-West neighborhood of North Philadelphia. The school serves students and families who are most in need, providing a full scholarship to every student. Students benefit from small class sizes, an extended day, robust art and music programs, extensive social-emotional support, and a comprehensive High School Placement and Graduate Support Program. Learn more at: http://www.stjamesphila.org
The Advancement Associate is a crucial member of the school’s advancement team, which is responsible for raising over $1.5 million annually. Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Advancement Associate also works closely with the Head of School, the Director of Marketing and the Board of Directors, to help implement the school’s Advancement Plan; assisting in securing necessary funding for operations/ special projects; and providing administrative and day-to-day support for the office.
- Collaborates with Advancement Team to develop and implement both short-term and long-term strategies related to donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship (including: corporations, foundations, churches, and individuals).
- Active member of Church Relations Team, develop and implement strategies related to engaging and cultivating church partners
- Active member of Social Media Committee, assisting in creating content for and maintaining St. James’ social media presence
- Serves as first-point-of-contact for donor customer service, answers Advancement Office phone.
- Works with Business Manager to ensure all revenue is accurately recorded; prepares reports twice per week of all donations to prepare for bank deposits.
- Serves leadership role during annual audit; ensuring auditors receive all requested details and reports related to revenue
- Inputs all cash, in-kind, and other types of gifts into database (GiftWorks)
- Records contact information, notes, and other important details for donors, volunteers, prospects and others in database
- Ensures the accuracy of all information maintained in database
- Researches, coordinates and recommends changes to database software or set-up
- Serves as office manager of Advancement Office, ensuring office is properly stocked with supplies and needed materials.
- Maintains all Advancement Office electronic and paper files.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises Advancement Office volunteers to assist with mailings and other relevant projects
- Along with Director of Advancement, trains and supervises student ambassadors with tasks like thank you letters and calls to donors
- Maintains the iContact subscriber lists, ensuring new contacts are added, and the appropriate people are deleted
- Collaborates with Director of Advancement on donor communications, especially thank you letters
- Ensures all donors are thanked appropriately and in a timely way (Goal: 3 business days max).
- Manages donor mailings, including assembling contact lists
- Assists in organizing and executing fundraising events, including collaborating with volunteer committees and vendors, assembling invitation and guest lists, and providing day-of support
- Acts as an ambassador for the school, giving tours and providing information to prospective and current volunteers and donors
- Attends and serves on Advancement Committee and event committees (as time permits)
- Assists in the development of prospect lists
- Works with Director of Marketing, Advertising and Design to customize materials for prospects and donors
- Develops and recommends communication improvements and new opportunities
- Works with Advancement Director to ensure donors of all levels receive recognition throughout the year – ex: thank you phone calls, mailings, gifts, etc.
- Provides assistance with student programming/ school operations as needed (ex: lunch duty, assist in the planning of schoolwide non-fundraising events, etc.).
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Stoneleigh Emerging Leader Fellowship Opportunities
- Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies and Director of Academic Innovation, Albion College, The Phila. Center
- Director of Training / Associate Director, Drexel University Counseling Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.