Adult English Class Instructor, Aquinas Center
ADULT ENGLISH CLASS INSTRUCTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Summary: The Aquinas Center’s Adult ESoL Program is seeking a teacher to work with beginner level students for seven hours a week. Our program is a community-centered, welcoming space for adults at various levels in their English language learning to further their English knowledge.
Hours: Must be able to work Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-8:30PM and meet with coordinator before or after class a few times during the summer semester, which runs from June 19 – August 2, 2018. The position would begin June 12th.
Compensation: $16.50-$18/hr depending on experience. This part-time position offers seven hours of pay for independent planning, staff meetings, and teaching time. In addition to twice weekly teaching, responsibilities include planning weekly lessons, working with the ESoL coordinator for larger curriculum planning meetings and providing guidance and supervision for volunteers.
Supervision: Reports to ESoL Coordinator
• Teach beginner level ESoL class every Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00 – 8:30
• Prepare lesson plans for each class, and keeping an organized record of each lesson in the office Dropbox
• Meet regularly with ESoL Coordinator and Intermediate ESoL teacher
• Provide guidance for and supervise volunteers during class time
• Communicate upcoming events and important dates to students
• Keep classroom space neat and organized
Position Requirements: Candidates should be open to embracing sociocultural approaches to language and literacy learning in addition to iterative lesson planning. Candidates with experience working with adult learners, immigrant communities and community-based education will be given priority in hiring. In addition, an ideal candidate will have the following qualities and qualifications:
• Some second language capacity in Vietnamese, Spanish, or Bahasa Indonesia (desired, but not essential)
• A comfort level with engaging with a wide variety of different ethnic, cultural, language, and religious backgrounds.
• A capacity to build and maintain trust with community members.
• An orientation toward social justice.
Our Mission: Aquinas Center builds unity in diversity, supports learning, and inspires thoughtful action.
Hospitality ‡ Responsiveness ‡ Solidarity ‡ Transformation
1700 Fernon Street, Philadelphia, PA 19145| aquinascenterphilly.org|(267) 702-3454
To Apply: Write cover letter in body of the email and attach resume. Describe why you are interested in a community-based adult literacy program and relevant experience. Email to Business@aquinascenterphilly.org. No calls please.
‡ ‡ ‡
About Aquinas Center: Aquinas Center is located on the campus of St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in a diverse, inner city neighborhood of Philadelphia, PA. The parish convent was repurposed in early 2013 in response to growing demand from community members for a welcoming space to offer mutual support and foster shared understanding across boundaries of class, race, ethnicity, language and geographic distance. The result is the Aquinas Center, with a mission to build unity in diversity, support learning, and inspire thoughtful action. Hospitality, solidarity, responsiveness, and transformation are the four values that animate this mission.
To learn more, visit:
Aquinas Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.