Lutheran Settlement House
Adult Education Tutor, Lutheran Settlement House
Volunteers in the Adult Education and Career Development Program at Lutheran Settlement House work with adult learners one-on-one or in small groups (2-4 learners with one tutor) on basic math and literacy, GED test prep, and digital literacy skills. Hours for tutoring are flexible—based on both the tutor and learner schedules. Prior tutoring or teaching experience is helpful, but not required.
Our program runs in 12-14 week cycles covering a specific subject matter. Tutors are provided with curriculum materials to guide them through the tutoring cycle. At the end of each cycle, learners are evaluated to ensure that they have grasped the material before moving on to another subject area in another 12-14 week cycle.
Tutors are expected to:
- Make a commitment to tutoring for a minimum of 6 months (approximately 3-5 hours per week)
- Complete the Tutor Now, Fundamentals of Adult Learning from the city’s Office of Adult Education
- Attend a 90-minute orientation at Lutheran Settlement House
- Pass background checks for criminal history and child abuse
- Have a Bachelor’s degree
- Exhibit an understanding or a willingness to understand the importance and challenges of adult education
- Be reliable, flexible, and patient
- Regularly complete progress tracking forms online
- Participate in monthly check-in calls with the Program Director or Coordinator
- Participate in quarterly tutor meetings
To become a volunteer tutor, email email@example.com or call 215-426-8610 ext. 1242.
Please visit this link for the latest schedule of Tutor Now, Fundamentals of Adult Learning trainings:
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.