Academic Year Tutoring Internship, Puentes Hacia el Futuro
Posted by Puentes de Salud on December 18, 2017
Application deadline: January 5th, 2018. Click Here for additional dates and deadlines. Internship
positions are limited and competitive, please apply early.
We seek highly motivated individuals from all backgrounds to serve as tutors and mentors in our after-school program for children grades 1-5. Puentes de Salud’s education branch, Puentes Hacia el Futuro, is predicated upon the well-evidenced fact that education is inextricably tied to the health of individuals and communities. The goal of Puentes Hacia el Futuro is to support the educational achievement of children in the Philadelphia Latino immigrant community in order to improve long-term health outcomes, as well as to provide support in the context of extremely limited educational resources. Tutors will have the unparalleled opportunity to work and to learn at the intersection of social justice, migration, community and urban education in a community-based environment. Tutors will be able to build close relationships with a small group of students and work closely as part of our team. Students may use this work to fulfill academic field work, internship, or independent study requirements.
● Attend sessions at least 2 days weekly. Schedule must remain constant for the entire semester.
● Supervise a small, consistent group of students (approximately 4 children).
● Engage students in their homework and daily literacy and curricular activities.
● Support team leader in classroom management, facilitation of activities, and other tasks.
● Support Puentes staff with additional programming tasks as needed.
● Actively contribute to daily group reflection meetings.
● Build relationships and work with family members to enhance children’s educational experience.
Eligibility & Requirements
This internship is available to a highly accomplished and responsible college or graduate student. Proficiency in Spanish not required. Preference given to those who can participate year long.
Sessions: Fall, September 11th – December 14th, 2017; Spring, January 20th – May 4th, 2018
Schedule: 3:15-5:45 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays. (select two day minimum)
Hours: Specific schedules and total semester hours are arranged individually prior to beginning. Non-credit university based internships/Independent study hours are approximately 12 hours per week.
Location: Southwark School, 1835 South 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148
Application : Puentes de Salud Education Internship Application
Contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
http://www.puentesdesalud.org • 267-714-8048
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- MASK ON! Philly Project – Volunteers Needed
- Bethesda Project – Remote Volunteer Opportunities
- Summer of Census – partners needed
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.