24th Annual Race Against Hunger Certified 5K Run/Walk – Apr 18
Saturday, April 18th: The Coalition’s Against Hunger’s 24th Annual Race Against Hunger Certified 5K Run/Walk – Nearly 3,000 expected to turn out at 5K event at Navy Yard Philadelphia
What: Race Against Hunger (5K)
Founded in 1996 by the Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger, the Race Against Hunger (formerly known as the Walk Against Hunger) brings together families, local businesses and hunger relief agencies in the Philadelphia region to raise thousands of dollars to help combat hunger in our community. Proceeds raised from The Race support the Coalition Against Hunger’s programs that connect people to emergency food, food assistance programs and educate the public and policymakers about responsible solutions to prevent hunger.
When: Saturday, April 18, 2020
- 8:30 a.m. Welcome; Race Warm-Up with Vince Faust (Parade Marine Grounds)
- 8:45 a.m. Run Starts (Parade Marine Grounds)
- 8:50 a.m. Walk Start (Parade Marine Grounds)
- 9:30 a.m. Finish Line Festivities, trophy award ceremony, post-Race carnival including music, kids activities, food trucks, vendors tables and giveaways. (Parade Marine Grounds)
Where: Navy Yard Philadelphia, Parade Marine Grounds, 4747 S. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Walk: $25 – Adults 18+ ($30 after March 16th); $5 – Kids/Youth ages 5-17; $35 Race Day
- Run: $30 Youth/Adults ages 12 + ($35 after March 16th); $40 Race Day). 5K chip-timed, USATF-certified course.
- Kids under 5 are free
Register (Early bird registration ends March 16): https://www.phillyhungerrace.com/
- In the five-county Philadelphia region, nearly 1 in 7 people struggle to afford the food that they need. In the city of Philadelphia, that figure is 1 in 4.
- Since the start of the recession, the number of people using SNAP (food stamps) has doubled in the suburbs of Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties.
- Nearly half of all food pantries in Philadelphia do not have enough food to meet demand.
EVENT SPONSORS: Buchanan Ingersoll, Saul Ewing, Specter Family Foundation, Vogt Foundation, Murphy & McGonigle, Fox Rothschild
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Stern Community Lawyering Clinic: Public Benefits Webinar – Aug 18
- Webinar: Latinos in Leadership – 8/19
- Forward Equitable Development Conference Conversation #3 – Aug 12
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.