2020Census Vietnamese Community Educator
Posted by VietLead on December 17, 2019
VietLEAD is a grassroots, Vietnamese community-based organization that focuses on intergenerational healing through leadership development, community engagement, culture & arts, and health promotion work. Our focus is participatory democracy, youth organizing, health and healing, and culture and arts programming with and by our community. Our vision is to integrate unique, sustainable programming that builds the skills, leadership, and collaboration needed to ensure that our community can thrive in Philadelphia and South Jersey.
From Winter 2019 until Summer 2020, VietLead will be a part of a Philadelphia and Camden County’s initiatives to “Get Out The Count” (GOTC) for the upcoming 2020 CENSUS! As part of our belief that all community members have the right and ability to shape and inform our cities, counties and neighborhoods, we will be assembling a 2020 CENSUS Team that includes our Community Educators as part of our in order to carry out the initial steps in educating our community members, citizens or not, young and old, to engage our political sphere through the upcoming 2020 CENSUS.
This team will participate in a two fold census education outreach plan through organizing, hosting, and implementing Vietnamese-language and English-language 2020Census Education workshops throughout Philadelphia and Camden Counties. We will be educating community members about why participating in the 2020 CENSUS is important for our community’s interests as well as reminding our community members to be attentive of the census deadlines.
The VietLead 2020 CENSUS Team will be a part of a seasonal team designed to provide support to a dynamic and creative team that works to increase political power of the Vietnamese community, and the broader Asian American community in Philadelphia.
VietLEAD seeks several highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individuals for our part- time 2020 CENSUS COMMUNITY EDUCATION TEAM position for our “Get Out The Counts” program. This position will be based out of our Philadelphia or Camden office and will begin in Winter 2019 and through Summer 2020. The Community Educator Team will support Program Staff in the following:
- Outreach to Vietnamese community groups, religious centers, and other community centers to schedule and provide 2020Census education workshops in Philadelphia County, Camden County, and in other spaces as capacity allows
- Training Vietnamese community leaders to lead their own workshops
- Outreach to Asian communities (in New Jersey specifically) to support in 2020 Census Education
- Supporting community members to fill out the census
- Organizing Census Action Days with the 2020Census Team (including Field Team and other project staff)
- Supporting team in Implement “Get Out The Counts” Strategies over through out the next year until CENSUS DAY on April 1, 2020
- Support in Outreach for volunteers and for other program-related needs
- Organizing and recruiting new volunteers through high school, college, and community outreach for phone
- Maintain filing system for volunteer hours
- Supporting Staff in organizing, planning, and carrying out programming
- Other programming-related support as needed
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Must be able to speak Vietnamese
- Must have access to transportation
- PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel, and internet usage
Compensation: Hourly, based on experience, part-time.
- Director of Ending Hunger For Good, Philabundance
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
- City Homeless Office Offers Youth Internship
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.